Is it possible to forward an incoming landline call to my cellphone?

Due to the fact that Republic does not have any phone numbers in my town, my # is in the correct area code but … if someone calls me locally from their landline to my cell phone, there is a charge. I have to have a landline so local people can call me for free. Will Google Voice or anything work with Moto 3G so I can cut the cord on my landline and save some money?

Hi @sandrag.lg6a9o,

It should be quite possible to forward your existing landline number to your Republic phone. You would want to talk to your landline provider to determine how to set that up.

Google Voice works well with Republic phones but chances are Google Voice won’t be able to provide you with a number that’s a local call for the same reason Republic is unable to do so. Google Voice uses the same carrier that Republic does to host phone numbers. If Republic is unable to offer a number in your local area; it’s very unlikely Google Voice can. Likewise, moving your current landline to Republic or Google Voice is likely not to work. Some context on all this follows:

Republic, like all service providers, relies on a Local Exchange Carrier (LEC) to host phone numbers. LEC is telephone industry jargon for phone company. Republic uses Bandwidth.com, as its’ LEC. Use of Bandwidth is part of Republic’s blended WiFi/cell service. Bandwidth needs to have “presence” in the rate center where the number you wish to obtain or transfer (port) is located. A rate center is a geographic area, usually but not always a city or town. The rate center your number is located in is determined by the area code and prefix (first six digits) of your phone number. No carrier has presence in every rate center. Bandwidth has presence in most but not all rate centers.

If you’d care to share the first six digits of your landline number, we may have some ideas for you. To protect your privacy, please do not post the entire number.

I have a friend in Irving Texas who has ported a landline to Republic succesfully

Thanks for the reply … but one problem. I do NOT want a landline. I want to disconnect it. I just want people who call me locally on THEIR landline to my cellphone not to be charged. Hoped a forwarding service could do this - like Google Voice. But, if you say they use the same lines and have the same limitations … that won’t help me either. Anyone know of anyway I can keep friends and customers (small home biz) from being charged? Desperate! :slight_smile:

Hi @sandrag.lg6a9o,

I do understand you’re hoping to replace your landline with a more affordable solution. Google Voice isn’t the only game in town but available options are determined by the location of your phone number. Alternatives to Google Voice, generally, won’t be free but can be quite reasonably priced.

Since folks already know your landline number, it might make sense to bring that with you to another service. The first six digits of your landline will tell us its’ location without compromising your privacy.

area code included? 270-629

PS - the reason I want to cut out the landline is to save money. I’m on a restricted senior citizen budget. If I have to keep the landline - I don’t need to transfer anything - they can still call me for free on the landline. Sigh.

Hi @sandrag.lg6a9o,

Who doesn’t like to save money? Bandwidth.com, the underlying carrier, hosting both Republic and Google Voice numbers has no network rate center presence in Glasgow, KY. This is why Republic is unable to provide a number that would be a local call to your correspondents. Google Voice won’t be able to do so either.

The above said, there are other options. These Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service providers use carriers other than Bandwidth to host telephone numbers. None of them are free, however, they are likely less expensive than your landline provider. Using any of them is also more complex in that pricing is offered per minute or flat rate. Depending on your needs, they offer call forwarding, inbound and/or outbound calling. It’s an a la carte rather than a buffet approach. You might look at:

1. Callcentric
  2. NumberBarn
  3. VoIP.ms
  4. VoIPO

I personally use and like Callcentric but all are reputable companies with good reputations in the VoIP community. Each packages their services a bit differently, so you’ll need to evaluate which might be a fit for your needs.

ETA: Any of these service providers should be able to transfer your Glasgow, KY landline.

Message an
Expert customer