Is it true that numbers on RW look like landline numbers to other carriers?

In my research about RW, I came across several mentions of this, one example: Port / Transfer My Republic Wireless Number to ATT GoPhone

Is this still the case with numbers on RW?

Is this for numbers ported to RW, or first time new numbers created within RW?

Lets say for example I port a cell number to RW, I try it out, but find out it is not for me.

I go to port to another carrier… will they think it is a landline, and I am forced to jump through hoops to port out my number from RW?

0 Likes

All numbers on Republic phones are Bandwidth.com numbers and are therefore VoIP numbers which in turn makes them classified as “wireline”, more commonly called landline.

In general the only downside is a longer transfer time. Although not always, as I’ve moved a Republic number to T-Mobile and it moved in under an hour. The exception to the rule is Cricket who refuses to transfer the numbers.

0 Likes

Not all carriers take forever and a day to port a number from Republic. We have had folks say Google Fi is able to do it within 24 hours.

The issue is with the receiving carrier and not Republic Wireless. The receiving carrier just hasn’t updated their porting process to the 21st century.

0 Likes

Google’s Project Fi numbers are T-Mobile numbers and T-Mobile is very good at number porting. I’ve ported multiple numbers between TMO and Bandwidth (here and at RingTo). Always done in 24 hours or less. Which raises the question if TMO can do it why can’t others? The answer is they can, they just don’t. As you observe; it’s time those others joined the rest of us in the 21st century.

0 Likes

Most carriers can port out a number from Republic Wireless. Some may take a week to do so. One carrier that will not port a Republic Wireless number is Cricket Wireless. They are the only cellular carrier I aware of that refuses to port land line or VoIP numbers.

0 Likes

Lets say for example I port a cell number to RW, I try it out, but find out it is not for me.

I go to port to another carrier… will they think it is a landline, and I am forced to jump through hoops to port out my number from RW?

Hi @ee.2hvpvm ,

We offer a 14-day Money Back Guarantee. We do not require you to port your number to us when you activate the phone; a new number will be assigned to it. A great way to avoid the hassle you have described is to activate the phone and test it thoroughly during your first 14 days. Once you are content that the service and the phone are right for you, then port your number in.

You do have to maintain your number with your previous carrier while you are testing your RW phone. If you cancel the account with the previous carrier, they will most likely not allow you to port your number out.

0 Likes

closed #7
0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer