Is REVERSE tethering possible with Republic phones? Should be!

Continuing the discussion from Tethering WiFi to laptop USB:

Searching the Q&A showed me a mention of Reverse Tethering, BUT: seems the question and answer is a bit off. What I would really like to do is connect my phone to my laptop with a USB cable and use the LAPTOP connection to the internet for data. Could / should be faster than via WiFi, since my laptop is directly Ethernet cabled to the internet adapter.

This should also solve an issue for my son at college. His mobile wireless (cell) connection is not good in his dorm, and neither is the WiFi connection for his phone. If he could connect his phone to his laptop with a USB cable and have the phone get data that way - Great!

Can this happen? With my Moto G5+ connected to my internet-connected laptop the option (under Android Settings - Wireless & networks - Tethering & portable hotspot - USB tethering) will de-gray when a cable is connected, but will NOT stay turned on.

Thanks!

Reverse tethering was broken on the legacy Motorola phones, causing customers to be billed for data, when reverse tethering (which obviously shouldn’t happen). @seanr Any info on reverse tethering on 3.0 devices?

Thanks ceedee, I did find that article, too. And a later, much more detailed and informative possibility is shared by an Android developer here: https://medium.com/genymobile/gnirehtet-reverse-tethering-android-2afacdbdaec7

But that way involves a few steps, requires installation of server software on the computer, and has limitations on some types of internet communications (as acknowledged and detailed by the developer elsewhere).

What I am hoping for is a more straightforward and native option. Simply the reverse of the normal tethering (where the phone provides an internet connection to a computer). I haven’t found actual reverse tethering discussed here on the RW forum, only what some folks called reverse tethering, but which I would describe differently, as using the phone for a wifi card or dongle. Not really the same thing.

Thanks louisdl, although there was earlier discussion noting that bug causing people to be billed for data when the phone was not using cell data, I would note that they were not doing what I am asking for. Those instances where ones where the phone was serving as a wifi adapter or card or dongle for a computer, to provide the internet through the phone to the computer. What I want to do goes the other way: use an internet connected computer to supply the internet to my RW Android phone from the computer.

Any help? Any hope?

Ah sorry, was confused. You want to provide a WIRED connection to the phone rather than use a wifi network?

Yes, that is a good way to describe it. If possible directly from an Ethernet port into my Android phone - wonderful magic!! Where do I find the right cable adapter? But getting connected through a laptop or similar device would serve, too.

Not sure it would work, but given Amazon’s generous return policies, may be worth a try: https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Micro-B-Ethernet-Adapter-Raspberry/dp/B00RM3KXAU

Thanks again! Only, following the link you provided leads (though a couple more clicks) to:

Basically Android doesn’t allow users to install any additional device drivers. Hence, if you wanted to connect an external device to an Android phone/tablet, the particular device driver has to be built into the phone/tablet when it’s shipped from the manufacturer.

Our USB2-OTGE100 Ethernet adapter is using the AX88772 chip set which is one of the most popular and widely adopted USB to Ethernet chip sets. A significant portion (but not all) of the Android devices available have the driver built in. This is why this adapter works with some of the Android devices. Unfortunately, there isn’t a good way to figure it out if the drive built-in or not, except via our collected data (the table above), or by testing the adapter with a particular Android tablet/phone.

Then the list of devices which work with this does not include any smartphones recognizable to me. Just a few Android tablets, mainly from ASUS. Sooo… Maybe RW could ask pretty please for Moto (or another phone supplier) to include the driver to work with the chipset?

I think you’ll find that Republic doesn’t have the mojo to have drivers included in a build that aren’t already there. And I would venture to say that the demand for what you’re trying to do is small enough that there is unlikely a market rational for these same manufacturers to bother.

Windows 10 has a built in hotspot feature that would allow you to share your ethernet connection over an available wifi adapter (such as a laptop probably has). I used this all the time in my dorm till my university redid their entire wifi setup to be more user friendly. I also used a program called MobileHotspot but its functionality is the same as the built in hotspot.

Yes, many thanks Burusutazu, that Mobile Hotspot feature in Windows 10 is an attractive option in the same direction. And the one I have pointed my college dorm guy toward, for the moment.

Trouble is that his university IT folks have (understandably) forbidden their network users from setting up their own wireless WiFi routers. Adding an uncontrolled variety of radio signals into the campus WiFi environment will not make the school network work better. So I will be curious about whether he can get away with having his laptop broadcast as another access point on the school network, or if they will track / shut him down.

A USB cable link from Ethernet-connected laptop to bunk-top mobile phone would be optimal. If feasible. Which is why I ask.

Thanks again!

At my University tethering was not explicitly forbidden (as it is not a router) and so I never got in trouble for it. However, they updated their code this year forbidding it since a lot of people noticed the gap in allowance.

I also used a tiny, low range wifi stick to do it. My signal did not leave much further than my room.

hehe, I actually hid a wifi router in my dorm room when I was going though collage. While we were forbidden, I think the main concern was security so I made sure it secure with a password (vs an open network).

On the topic of hotspot software (I also bought a licence of Connectify at one point), depending on the software running the connection though the computer should mask the usage as if it was computer using the internet so it may be harder to detect. In addition to being low powered with limited range, it really shouldn’t affect the main network with normal usage.

Anyone try https://github.com/Genymobile/gnirehtet ? It looks new (or I don’t remember finding it before). While it is also a server - client based software, it uses the built in VPN tools in android to route the internet requests though to the computer.

At the moment I am waiting for my dorm-dwelling son to arrive home for the holidays, a nine hour drive from the U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan). Perhaps typical for guys his age, have not had any reports or updates about how to have his mobile phone work better with the wifi in his dorm room.

Well, also no reports about much of anything else.

Will report any news!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.