Is SIM card needed for MOTO X gen 1 or 2 on Plan 2.0

I am on the plan 2.0 with my Moto G.

I want to upgrade to a Moto X 1st or 2nd gen from E-bay.

1. Do I even need a SIM card as my Moto G does not have one?

2. If I need a SIM card, do I need the ORIGINAL SIM card that came with the phone?

3. If the seller does not include the SIM card, can I purchase the $5 SIM card and still be on my original 2.0 plan.

4. How can I tell is the phone I am about to buy is UNLOCKED by republic to activate under a different account. Let’s say they did not pay their phone bills.

Thanks

1. Do I even need a SIM card as my Moto G does not have one?

Yes. The phone you buy should come with it’s original SIM card. Those cards do not have any personal information on them. The SIM in your current phone will not work on another phone. If the seller does not include the SIM , you will need to open a help ticket to get a new one from Republic.

1. If I need a SIM card, do I need the ORIGINAL SIM card that came with the phone?

That would make the process much easier, if you can get the original SIM with the phone.

1. If the seller does not include the SIM card, can I purchase the $5 SIM card and still be on my original 2.0 plan.

You cannot purchase one other Bring Your Own Device SIM cards that are for sale on Republic’s website. Those SIM cards only work with the new 3.0 phones. If you cannot get the original SIM with the used phone, you can work with Republic Help to get a SIM matched to the phone.

1. How can I tell is the phone I am about to buy is UNLOCKED by republic to activate under a different account. Let’s say they did not pay their phone bills.

You can get the MEID number from the Seller and then open a Help ticket and ask that the number be checked by support. Be certain that you are buying a Republic Wireless phone as well, as a simply unlocked version will not be compatible.

The information provided by @michellen is part of the document Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones which you may want to check out

Message an
Expert customer