Is the Moto G4 Play known to have WiFi issues?

About 3 months ago I bought a new G4 Play after two years with a MotoG-3rd Gen. The wifi connectivity is far less reliable on the G4 Play. The problem is especially serious at work. It seems that every time I turn the screen on after a few minutes of inactivity it is disconnected from WiFi, and only if I go into WiFi settings and view available networks does it begin to reconnect. I’ve unknowingly burned thru a few hundred MB of data because this phone constantly loses WiFi.

My phone is set to “Always Keep WiFi on During Sleep”, and I am aware that this phone is limited to 2.4 GHz. Other than that, is there something about the G4 Play that causes to have WiFi issues, or can someone say they’ve experienced the same?

Phone goes from wifi to cell when sitting on desk

Many newer devices (not just those one Republic Wireless) experience ‘problems’ with WiFi. The Doze function implemented in Android 6.0 & above to reduce battery usage while providing the newer functions actually turns off our WiFi after a period at rest. Many of us have determined this to be ~60 minutes, but different devices may vary. This is discussed (along with a 3rd party workaround) in Are your calls coming in on Cell or going to voicemail when your phone is sleeping?
It may be worth checking out

• I keep my Moto X Pure on 7.0 connected to WiFi using the MacroDroid app in the discussion and have simplified my routine to Every 50 minutes, turn the screen on, then turn it off (no delay). Even with a poor GSM signal this keeps me totally connected

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.