Is the six-month free service offer tied to the phone or the account?

I was fortunate enough to get a Huawei Ascend 5W before they ran out. I haven’t activated it yet and I am thinking about selling to a friend who wants to replace his existing RW phone and is interested in buying the phone from me if it includes the six months of free 1GB service.

My question is, if I sell this phone to my friend and he activates it /transfer his number to it, does he get the six months of free 1GB service? Or since I ordered it from my account does the free service not transfer…?

Open a chat session and ask the operator.

Good question and looking forward to some answers. It is a Eligible Phone and I’d assume if you gave it as a holiday gift to a family member or SO they would receive the free service if activated on their account unless RW considers the purchaser of the phone the **customer **in their fine print.

**Each (x ) Moto Z Play phone purchased between December 7, 2016 and December 20, 2016 at 3am EST on www.republicwireless.com and (y ) Huawei Ascend 5W purchased between December 13, 2016 and December 19, 2016 on www.republicwireless.com (both phones are collectively referred to herein as the “Eligible Phones”), will be eligible to receive up to six (6 ) consecutive months of Republic Wireless’s unlimited talk and text plus 1GB of cellular data service plan free of charge (taxes and telecom charges not included) (the “Offer”).

The customer must activate the Eligible Phone (x ) on or prior to December 29, 2016, (y ) chose a valid Republic Wireless service plan, and (z ) agree to the Republic Wireless Terms of Service (a “Valid Activation”). Offer is only valid on the Eligible Phone for the customer account entered as part of the Valid Activation. The Offer has no cash value, is not valid for payment of any kind other than as a service credit for a Republic Wireless service plan, not transferrable, and not valid on the service plans of any wireless carrier other than Republic Wireless.

My understanding is that the customer is the person who activates the phone on their account (who may be different from the person who purchased the phone). And, that the free service is linked to the phone, not the purchasing account.

Hi @williams,

My understanding is the six free months service is tied to the phone. The phone must be activated on or before December 29th for the free service to attach. Republic phones are not attached to any account until activated.

How does RW track/know one of the eligible phone/SIM cards is being activated? Do the SIM card or phone SNs come up in RW’s system when a phone is activated? Thanks.

Hi @williamo.vkbg0s,

If you look at the phones listed in your My Account portal, you’ll see a Device ID. That’s the phone’s IMEI (MEID for legacy phones), which is a fancy way of saying serial number. Republic will track “eligible phones” by the Device ID. You can confirm a match between the Device ID in your My Account portal and your phone(s) by dialing *#06# on your phone(s).

How do I select the 6 months free* with Ascend 5w deal during the activation? I skipped but look like the phone is not working even it said the activation is processing with 1 or 2 hours?

Skipped what? The phone will not work without a plan selection. I believe you select the $20.00 plan and they credit your account each month for 6 months. I’m thinking you need to restart the phone and start over if you skipped the plan selection.

you need to pick your plan and pay for the December Billing cycle this was in the fine print January billing cycle is the 1st one that is free (for up to the 1 GB plan)

Skip select the plan selection with skip button on the top right corner … OK … thank you I’ll try again

Simple. It’s tied to the phone. The phone was offered to and purchased by both current users, new customers and likely, previous Republic users.

• Current users have an account.
  • New and returning customers will create an account when they activate their Huawai Ascend.

@rolandh
Republic will track “eligible phones” by the Device ID.

QUESTION?

UPS just delivered a Moto G4 Play meant to be a gift for a lady friend. Will the free service I have on my Huawei be affected/terminated if its’ SIM Card is moved to the Play for testing? Thanks.

Given that free service doesn’t kick in until January’s bill cycle date and to the best of my knowledge, it shouldn’t. Worst case scenario, I’m confident Republic would straighten it out via support ticket if need be.