Is there a substitute for Anywhere on iPad?

Is there an alternate app to use on an iPad as a replacement for Anywhere? I love my iPad, and spend all my evenings killing time there, but have to keep my phone handy in case someone sends me an image, or if I want to paste something into an outgoing text message. Pasting some things into Anywhere just sends an empty message - so I have to apologize to the recipient, and switch devices anyhow.

I’d much rather be a single-fisted time waster than a two-fisted one. I am assuming that iPhones are still not on the horizon for us (if they are, sign me up on the wait list!) and that an update for Anywhere will not occur in the near future. So, is there an alternative texting app for iPad out there, anyone?

You can use Google Messages on the phone and then the Google Message for Web interface through Safari on the iPad. Works well on my iPhone and iPad.

2 Likes

Thanks louisdi. I’ll try that. Trying to coordinate Android, iOS and desktop is a mess.

Hi @janetv.allrt3,

You can make Google’s Messages for web look like an app on your iPad’s home screen if you like as follows:

1. Open Safari.
  2. Navigate to messages.google.com/web/authentication
  3. Tap “Go.”
  4. Tap the Share icon on the bottom of the page. It looks like a square with an arrow pointing out of the top.
  5. In the list of options presented, scroll down until you see Add to Home Screen. Tap this. The Add to Home Screen dialog box will appear.
  6. Choose a name (I suggest Messages by Google or Google Messages) for the shortcut on your home screen. You’ll see the link so you can confirm it, as well as the site’s favicon that will appear as the “app” icon on your home screen. Tap Add when you’re done. Safari will close automatically and you will be taken to where the icon is located on your iPad’s home screen.
  7. Now just tap the new “app” or shortcut on your home screen, and it will open the website in its own navigation window, independent of any tabs you might have open in Safari.

The one downside to using Google’s Messages for web on an iPad or iPhone is that unlike Anywhere, you will not receive a notification when a new message is received. This is a limitation imposed on web “apps” by Apple.

2 Likes

Awww, now how slick is that? AWESOME! Thanks bunches.

1 Like