Is this service worth it at this point?

What phone do you have? Moto G5splus

What plan are you on? the only one you offer now

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Yes, data

Issue Description

Roll the dice if my phone number is accepted by an outside company for messaging. I tried to create an account on a new social media site, but they don't recognize my number as being valid. Now years ago when I had a Defy XT, I was able to display and write down the underlying Sprint number which was way different than the Republic number. That is info that is no longer available on the newer phones though, so my phone number in purely fictional in the view of these companies. I think the thing that's the last straw on the camel's back is the total lack of coverage I experienced in my recent travels to Nebraska. I had absolutely no cell service available though there were plenty of Verizon and US Cellular towers near by. I didn't have my friends address, couldn't call him, couldn't retrieve a map via google.., I was totally â– â– â– â– â– â– â– . I will never allow myself to be in that position again, so I think it's time I changed to a different carrier. Totally unacceptable. It's a truism.... You get what you pay for. I guess I'll need to pay more. Our family has been on the service since the Defy XT was a thing. These odd issues have come up numerous times. I'm finally exhausted over it

Good Morning @mikem.pyr6be,

Here in the Community, we are mostly (myself included) fellow members (Republic likes to call customers members) helping other members. As you posted to the Community’s Problem Solving section, I’ll presume you would like some help.

The Nebraska coverage issue may be fixable. Please allow me to provide context regarding Republic’s coverage options for its newer phones like your Moto G5S Plus. Republic provisions cellular coverage with one of two network partners. One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. Republic’s other partner operates a CDMA network and is Sprint. Cellular coverage is provisioned with one partner or the other not both simultaneously.

Generally, in Nebraska, one would want CDMA not GSM coverage. To find out which of Republic’s network partners your phone is provisioned with, please try the following:

Please let us know if your phone is provisioned with GSM or CDMA coverage? If comfortable doing so, please also share a zip code (nothing more). I want to be certain in attempting to improve coverage in Nebraska, we don’t break something at home.

Regarding discovering the underlying routing number assigned to one’s phone, that’s still quite possible, however, doing so will not help with services who choose as a matter of their policy not to recognize Republic numbers for registration and other purposes. Republic numbers are every bit as real as any other phone number. Those who reject them simply don’t like the Voice over Internet Protocol (vOIP) technology Republic uses to power the WiFi portion of its blended WiFi/cell service. Candidly, giving these folks the underlying routing number no longer works. For what it’s worth, it was always an unsupported workaround. Nevertheless, if you wish to find your phone’s current underlying routing number, here’s how:

Finally, whether or not one finds sufficient value in Republic’s service to continue paying for it is something each of us must decide for themselves. For me, the answer remains yes. There are alternatives to many though not all of the services that choose to refuse Republic numbers. When that’s the case, I’ll give my business to those services that choose to support me rather than those that don’t.

4 Likes
Message an
Expert customer