Is UPGRADING to a new phone as simple as ordering a new phone and then swapping the SIM card?

What phone do you have?

HAVE: Moto G (8GB) (1st Gen.)

What plan are you on?

Monthly

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
WiFi and Cell Talk and Text and 3G Data (Moto G)

EASY QUESTION: Do I just order a new phone and swap the SIM card? This is likely the process but I’m just checking to be sure.

Thanks.

Hello @chrisr.4bokqc
Welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Since you have one of the Republic legacy phones on the old plan you will need to get a new SIM (and plan) when you get a new phone. The SIM in your Moto G needs to stay with that phone and should not be moved.

If you order your phone via Republic it will come with a SIM installed. If you go the BYOP way, you’ll need to order a SIM. (The Community can help you more with this if needed.) :wink:

Here is a link that can help you:

2 Likes

Thanks, SuperT:

How could I upgrade to this phone? Republic Wireless offers it, but they’re out of stock right now:

I’m not exactly clear how I can keep my unlimited text/talk/data plan. How does that work?

Thank you.

That phone (us unlocked 32 gig version) should work with Republic.
(It’s also available at Best Buy for the same price)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g7-power-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-marine-blue/6324289.p?skuId=6324289&irclickid=2Q8UV3QmExyJUx50UfQwQyYMUki34bxp1TgNUE0&irgwc=1&ref=198&loc=2Q8UV3QmExyJUx50UfQwQyYMUki34bxp1TgNUE0&acampID=614286&mpid=1927783

You will need to upgrade to the My Choice plan. Your current plan is only available for the old legacy phones. It’s explained in the article I previously gave you. :slight_smile:

Added:

One more thing to think about is your current phone has CDMA (Sprint) coverage. If you order that BYOP phone and order a SIM, it will have GSM (T-mobile) coverage. I’ll post a few link on how to order a SIM and how to get a CDMA SIM if needed:

Thanks for all this help!

I’m just bummed out that the unlimited data plan I have is attached to my dying phone. Built in microphone has gone KAPUT but when I use earbuds with mic it still works… soooo… likely going to wait to upgrade for a bit.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer