I've been hacked! (Facebook)

Friends are calling me to ask about my texts to them that sound like scams. I’m not sending them, but they look like they’re from me and even include my picture. I’ve disabled my Facebook account, but these texts continue. Does anyone know what I should do to stop this?

Hi @Voyager,

It’s highly unusual for an Android phone to be hacked.

Number spoofing (much more difficult with text messages as opposed to calls) is a possibility. What about the content of the messages suggests spam to your friends?

I’m curious as to why you raise Facebook? Are these text messages seemingly coming from your Republic phone number? Facebook Messenger messages? Something else?

These messages tell my friends that the SSA is granting large payouts. That I’ve just received a large check and note that my recipient is on the list to also receive money. Then they are supposed to click something for more information.

The friends who have called me because they think maybe it’s not really from me obviously haven’t fallen for this, but I worry about how many of these texts have been sent out and maybe will fool some of my friends.

I think Facebook is involved because they have my Facebook picture.

Do you and your recipients use Facebook Messenger? If so, that suggests while your Facebook account may have been hacked, your phone has not been.

Or are these text messages?

I’ve never used Messenger myself, but I’m not sure now how these texts were received.
I’ve left a voice-mail message for a friend to call me back. I’ll ask her for more details.

Thank you so much for responding to me.

I just went on Messenger. I found lots of messages TO me, but none FROM me. Or don’t the ones from me show up? I’m really confused. But I want this to stop.

Candidly, I’m not an expert regarding Facebook and/or Facebook Messenger.

Understood, however, before the Community might be able to point you in the right direction, one must identify the source of the problem. Perhaps, asking your friends how they are receiving these messages will lead in that direction?

As I mentioned, I have already called one of my friends (who was a recipient of the SPAM (SCAM?) mail. However, she hasn’t called me back yet. I’ll post again when I hear from her.

Based on everything you’re describing I would bet big dollars your Facebook account has been hacked. I say this both based on what you’re describing AND based on the fact that Facebook accounts being hacked is common while Android phones being hacked is rare.

I would go ahead with the process here: If you’re worried about the security of your account, we can help you. (facebook.com)

You’re right. It is my Facebook account that has been hacked. I had already gone to the site that you suggested, and all they did was assist me in changing my password. I’ve done this before, but I continue to get hacked. I’m getting rather discouraged.

Lawd, lawd, chile ! What in the world are you doing with anything kin to Facehook?! Here’s a tip: Signal. It’s end-to-end encrypted as long as you and your sweet treats on the other end are also using the same, or use WhatsApp who’s parent company is…Facebook! Wait a minute! What’s going on here?! [ Insert pitch for Blockstack.org here. Dapps - digital apps - is where it’s at…or going, I hope. https://www.blockstack.org/about ]

Go to this article for how to use Signal for super security (like while carrying a sign while walking down a street) : https://www.wired.com/story/signal-tips-private-messaging-encryption/

Tell your contacts you will no longer use Messenger and if they care enough they will go to Signal and/or WhatsApp.

You need to change the password to the email address used for your Facebook account as well. You may find that other accounts for other services using that email or email/password combination will have been compromised as well.

Long phrases or a sentence that have meaning to you but would be impossible to guess work best for memorability. Of course password generators work great as well if you use password managers.

1 Like

Since it seems the hack involved your texting group, you may want to open Facebook messenger, then tap on your FB picture at the top left, beside where it says Chats. Then you will see a menu. You will want to check out each by tapping on it and making sure, especially SMS, is turned off.

1 Like

I’ve never used Facebook Messenger to send messages, but I do receive the occasional message. These pseudo messages my friends are receiving don’t show up there. Apparently, It starts out with a message saying something like “Hi, how are you?” Then, when the recipient replies, they get the pitch.

It’s good to periodically review what third-party access you’ve granted to your Google and Facebook account information:

2 Likes

@Voyager, It’s also pretty common for hackers to spoof (pretend to be) people on Facebook. They will get a list of your friends and pretend to be you, even if your account isn’t compromised. If this happens, your friends should report the messages.

One way to make sure you’re not compromised if someone hacks your password, is to turn on 2-factor authentication. This means that in addition to your password, you will also need a code to log into your account. This code could be texted to you or you could use an authentication app. Facebook is the best way for me to keep track of most of my relatives and friends, so I use it. Here is how to turn 2-factor authentication on Facebook: What is two-factor authentication and how does it work on Facebook?

1 Like

Always use a password manager. Norton has one included in their packages. I use Bitwarden - good and inexpensive. I’ve used LastPass but it became quite expensive. Additionally, Yubikey is excellent and I use it with Bitwarden and whatever website will allow its use.

Again, use WhatsApp or Signal for its encryption.

I have been using Norton Password Manager for years.

I checked and two-factor authentication is already selected.

1 Like

That’s great! Makes me think it’s more likely that someone is spoofing you than actually hacking your account. This is still dangerous to your friends who may think it’s actually you, so you may want to let them know.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer