Just an FYI which may mean nothing

May be nothing but a coincidence, but I ordered a new phone yesterday from RW, {which, according to FedEx, is being shipped from one of America’s most corrupt cities, Chicago} and this morning got an e-mail possible fraud notice from my bank with over $1,100 in bogus charges on my CC. Fortunately the bank caught it immediately. Did not use the card yesterday nor for anything else for the last 5 days.

Now certainly the card info could have been captured days/weeks/months earlier. Have never had an issue with RW in the past so this is strictly a heads up.

Are you sure the fraud alert was legitimate? Many frauds are perpetrated by sending out an e-mail that appears as if it’s from a bank, but are actually phishing scams.

As for tying this to the shipper’s address, it’s unlikely the shipper has your credit card information.

1 Like

With the assumption that the alert you received is legitimate, let me share a little about the Republic credit card system. When you submit your card, it is submitted via an SSL (encrypted) connection. It is submitted directly to the payment processor. It isn’t possible for a Republic employee, the shipping partner, or anyone else to access the number. In fact, YOU can’t access the number. While anything is possible, it is highly unlikely this has anything to do with Republic.

1 Like

99% positive it was a valid fraud alert as I did NOT click on the link from the e-mail but on the link I have saved in my laptop. It had all my previous transactions plus 2 bogus ones this morning.

I never click on a link from an e-mail.

They canceled my current number and will replace the card in 5+/- days.

I traveled world wide for over 26 years with this card and the only time a similar event occurred was the day I ordered computer parts from “Tiger Direct” in Florida, bought gas in NY, and somehow, in person bought $2,000+ worth of computer equipment in California. The bank called me immediately, and canceled the bogus charge and my current card. The CC companies seem to be quite good at catching somethings that look bogus.

Information from ‘7 Ways You Could Accidentally Set Off Your Own Fraud Alert
The following are just the titles of 7 items that the article mentions that ,could trigger the Fraud Alert algorithm … there are many more and they are constantly being adjusted in an attempt to keep ahead of the bad guys. Numbers 4 & 7 were a surprise to me

1. Making Purchases in a Strange Place
  2. Making Unusually Large Purchases
  3. Spending Big on a Brand-New Card
  4. Failing to Sign Up for Text Alerts
  5. Forgetting to Update Personal Information Changes
  6. Buying Luxury Items That Are Irresistible to Thieves
  7. Making a Small Purchase Followed by a Large Purchase

Will your credit card holder tell you what triggered the alert in your case?

This one makes sense because those committing fraud will often make a small purchase to probe that the card is still valid before making the larger purchase.

What actually tipped them off is unknown and it it better that most people don’t know the cues that tip them off.

I’ve had an ongoing CC relationship with RW, which was the only transaction yesterday, but the bank spotted 2 transactions and listed a few in the past week or so. The 2 bogus ones were in that list.

Again, after using this card world wide for 26 years of travel and XX number of years in retirement, there have only been 2 instances of fraudulent usage and the bank caught them both. Not a bad track record as much as people don’t like banks.

Message an
Expert customer