Just another successful MOTO X1 battery replacement

Got the battery a couple months ago and finally decided having to keep the phone on charge 3/4 of its waking hours was enough to push me over the edge. Using Mikes previously posted discussion back in Sept I took the plunge knowing if things went horribly wrong Id have officially retired an old friend. The operation went smoothly except for a quick run to Home Depot to get the torx (T4) necessary to remove the screws that I had assumed was in the kit of tools I purchased off Ebay. I used the wife’s hairdryer to heat the glue on the back. The connections are kind of different than anything else I have ever encountered but the excellent info on Youtube guides you through it. The patient is awake and charging (since 11 AM) and is up to 60% full. The old battery would fully charge (and discharge) within a hour…If it takes 8 hrs to get full its bound to last longer. I forgot what it was like when it was new after so many charges and years of use.

The Moto X1 has been a great phone for me and with this upgrade will exceed and wild ideas I had on its long term value when I purchased it.

Stay Thirsty Friends

8 Likes

Glad to hear your battery replacement went well.

Off topic: Are you going to change your profile pic to the new “Most Interesting Man in the World”?

7 Likes

@stay_thirsty

Glad the patient survived but the “most interesting man” probably had his ladies fix the phone! The community isn’t the same since you been away or I just haven’t seen you here. Will you be here more since it’s winter now? I hope so!

*** ~~ßocephous™ ***

636083201438729785-Cantina---4.png

The New Most Interesting Man!

7 Likes

Thanks Coreyk…Think I will keep the original profile pic cause I just dont think the new guy is as swagarific

8 Likes

Appreciate that Bo…Yea I’ve been off the grid here for a good while. Ill probably pop in more often now that its getting colder out. Since retiring its a been full time job working on my golf handicap which was not so interesting when I was on the 9 - 5 routine. The battery replacement was a complete success…just took it off charge and put it through all the test including streaming Google play which is one of my faves (Police radio *excellent)

Thanks again for the kind words…RW is not just a cell phone provider…Its a community of helpful friends

7 Likes

Did you look into having it replaced professionally? I would love to have the battery replaced on my Moto X (1st gen). I’m not willing to try to do it myself, but when I went to 2 different Batteries (And Bulbs) Plus stores, they said that the part was not available.

The battery can be found on eBay or Amazon. Did you ask if they’d do the work if you supplied the part? It’s quite possible that they (just like most of the mobile repair techs) choose to only repair Apple (and maybe a few Samsung) models. It makes inventory and pricing easier for them if they only support a handful of devices, I guess.

Maybe try an independent phone store or mall kiosk?

No, I hadn’t thought to ask if they’d do the work if I supplied the part. I may check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.

If anyone is stressed out about battery life, a first step would be a portable charger.

I have been able to keep my old phone (Moto X 1st Gen) for a long time because on the few days where I can’t charge my phone at home, work, or in the car, I can just charge it with my portable charger.

• Consider this one from Amazon.com for $15.99. EasyAcc 10000mAh Power Bank Brilliant External Battery Pack Portable Charger for iPhone Samsung HTC Smartphones Tablets - Black and Orange
    For example, we brought this portable charger on a trip to Disney World. My phone and my wife’s phone were losing batteries over the course of the day and there was no easy place to charge them but we just plugged them into this a few times while our phone were in our backpacks or pockets and they were still fully charged at the end of the day. It is the size of another phone and you just plug your USB connection into it.

• The next size up is $29.99 but is more to carry around. EasyAcc Monster 20000mAh Power Bank (4A Dual-Input Fastest Charge 4.8A Smart Output) External Battery Pack Charger Portable Charger for Android iPhone Samsung HTC - Black and Orange
    This bigger one is the one we have and the reason I don’t recommend it is we have never even used 1/2 of the charge from it so I think I would prefer the slightly smaller one as far as weight and size.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer