Karma Go Refuel Plan Grandfathered

Anyone else get the email last night (late on a Friday) of the Karma Go Refuel plan being grandfathered?

If you want to keep your data (which I have over 40gb), you have to pay a $2.95 fee monthly.

I thought it was a phishing email, but Karma Go support confirmed this.

I have a rarely used Karma Go on a Refuel plan but have yet to see the email you reference. Your post prompted me to sign into my Karma account. I’m offered the opportunity to purchase additional data if I wish at the refuel rate of $15/GB with no reference to a monthly fee.

I’m not doubting the validity of what you confirmed with Karma support. Sounds like the “grandfathering” is intended to match up with Karma’s relatively new Drift plans.

I did not see anything about it under my account settings either, that is why I fired off the request for help to Karma Go.

They did say it would cease to work on June 1 if I did not pay the grandfathering monthly fee of $2.95.

They immediately charged my card too when I signed up. I don’t want to see over $400 worth of data disappear in a flash.

They did say I could switch to either of the new plans at any time, so if I went to the Drift plan would they refund my $400 of unused data so I could bail out?

Here is what prompted me to act quickly!

ONLY GRANDFATHERED REFUEL ACCOUNTS WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE ACCESS TO THEIR KARMA ACCOUNT AFTER JUNE 1, 2017. PULSE AND DRIFT CUSTOMERS WILL NOT BE EFFECTED BY THIS CHANGE.

Here is the line item on the invoice they sent back:

Refuel Grandfather
$2.95

Looks like others are starting to get the warning message now (see comments at bottom):

Karma Launches New DRIFT Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband Plan | Prepaid Phone News

Still waiting for my notice but thank you for mentioning this. I have nowhere near the amount of cell data you reference and use the device only as an emergency backup during hurricane season here in Florida. I’m undecided whether a monthly fee makes sense for me and I agree with those who don’t feel Karma’s “offer” meets the definition of grandfathering.

I asked Karma Go support if the $2.95 fee will allow us to use the premium features, and he said YES, so that is nice of them. I never did like the idea of letting strangers onto my device, especially since they capped the free 100mb at 1 per month. Here is the statement about the premium feature:

Also you will be not be charged for Premium feature, it will be free.

here’s a FAQ that was linked from Karma’s twitter account:

https://medium.com/@karmawifi/karma-refuel-grandfather-program-faq-46de32b5b1ba

Thanks for that link billys.

I did not see in there if the $2.95 gets you the premium features though like the email reply from tech support intimated.

I should have NOT opted for grandfathering and did the re-enable every time I needed to use the device.

That is not too much to ask. If they would have explained that in the email they sent me, I would have NOT paid the $2.95/month. If they do allow the premium features, I will pay the $2.95/month and deal with it. If they do not, I will use my 40gb up, and cancel my service with them. I did like the idea of having a backup for my home network when Comcast goes out (and they do occasionally). The $99 I paid for the device would then have to go in the book as “Lesson Learned”.

I have had Karma since 2014 before it was “Go”. I do recall that I purchased the data over time because the advertising said the DATA WOULD NEVER EXPIRE. I have used very little of the 60GB I purchased over time, mainly for travel, and also as a back up when Comcast goes down.

The point is, they can’t move the goals while the game is in play. I paid the $2.95 a month for this Grandfather nonsense, but I have a feeling that we have a class action against them for changing the contractual basis of the purchase. They can’t force this $2.95 a month on existing data purchased against “Never Expires.”

Thoughts anyone?

Hi @allenc.togxnd,

Given that according to the following from Karma’s email, one does not lose access to previously purchased “never expiring” data, a lawsuit may be over the top:

IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO ENROLL IN THE RGP YOU WILL STILL HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED REFUEL DATA. PULSE AND DRIFT CUSTOMERS WILL NOT BE EFFECTED BY THIS CHANGE. SEE FAQ BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION.

Granted the terms of future data purchases have changed. One has the option to accept that change (or not) by deciding whether to enroll in the “grandfather program”. I am not a lawyer but I doubt a court would decide that Karma is contractually obligated to provide the ability to purchase additional “never expiring” data under the old terms in perpetuity.

Message an
Expert customer