Lack of coverage in medical building

A few days ago, when in a medical building, I found that my Samsung Galaxy S7 (from Republic Wireless) could not access web-sites through cell service. I could text and search, but could not open any websites.

My husband’s cheap LG Rebel LTE (GSM) through TracFone had no problem, so I had to confiscate his phone while he was being subjected to medical procedures. :slight_smile:

When I check the coverage maps for T-Mobile and Sprint, the coverage is considered to be Excellent/Best for both.

Where do I start troubleshooting to find out why his phone worked and my phone did not? I think my phone is GSM, but I don’t know for sure.

Hi @Graammm

There could be many reasons why his phone worked and your didn’t. Trying to figure out why his phone worked and yours didn’t could take a lot of getting answers to questions such as:

Does this facility have a Distributed Antenna System (DAS)
Which cell phone carriers are connected to it?

The easier way to try to fix this is to ask if the facility has WiFi available for patients and visitors. Since your Republic Wireless phone is WiFi-first, that would be the best way for you to get service if that’s available.

Even though a coverage map may show good coverage for the area where the facility is, hospitals and similar facilities are notorious for poor cell phone reception inside the building. WiFi is your best bet if it’s available.

5 Likes

Particularly true if one is in or near the Radiology Department.

5 Likes

I have had this happen at a couple of different places. I have lost all coverage in some buildings. I think it may have something to do with building materials used.

Different building materials can definitely be the issue. I have a family friend that has a pole barn that is made of metal. It is essential a big faraday cage. No cell service inside of it, but excellent service outside. Brick and concrete block also as hard for cell signal to penetrate. These are the materials that Hospitals are mostly constructed.

2 Likes

Ok. I thought maybe that was the cause. One of them was a grocery store and the other was a dental clinic. If I stepped outside either one, I got multiple bats of LTE.

This also has to do with the frequency of the cell signal provided. If there is a cell tower that provides a lower frequency band those are better at building penetration.

4 Likes

Generally, in areas where Band 12 700 MHz spectrum has yet to be rolled out, Republic’s GSM partner uses higher radio frequencies.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer