Last 19 days of international calling

I traveled to Iceland for 6days. I had CDMA Sim card in my motorcycle g6 phone. We stayed at the hotel where WiFi was provided. I was able to call home anytime I wanted, everything voice, email and text worked great. Once on the ship, in Norway, Shetland , Greenland and on the ocean, I was able to make and receive phone calls. Once we arrived in Quebec, the WiFi simply would not work. No matter how I configured the phone including putting it in airplane mode. The same thing in Montreal. Any thoughts why phone worked well everywhere except in Canada.

Canada also has a few CDMA carriers and the phone most likely saw that and tried to refresh it’s Cell Configuration (as Republic doesn’t have International coverage the phone could not do)

this is why Republic currently recommends a GSM SIM when traveling international

edit looks like Bell Canada was scheduled to shut down CDMA in Quebec and Ontario last April (2018) (link)

edit to strike out out of date information and add below comments
It still possible the phone wanted to reconfigure it cellular setting which has been know to happen and why Republic recommend a GSM sin when traveling international, it also possible that the WiFi just was not allowing VOIP as @rolandh states

Hi @mootooa

The answer might be as simple as the WiFi networks you were connecting to in Quebec weren’t configured to support Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calling. VoIP is the technology powering the WiFi portion of Republic’s blended calling. Presuming you’ve returned home, it is unfortunately not practical to troubleshoot that.

Regarding the experience @drm186 alludes to; did your phone enter a loop of attempting to connect to Canadian cell networks?

I’m reasonably certain the last of Canada’s CDMA networks converted to GSM several years ago now.

Yes, it my phone was trying to connect to the cellular network. French speaking person kept coming on.
That was the only country I had any issues. Interesting. I was late in ordering GSM card, otherwise I would have gone prepared. Note: I was planning on purchasing a sim card in Iceland, but as it turned out I did not need to. Thanks for all the input. Will keep the system changes in mind when travelling international in the future.

“The answer might be as simple as the WiFi networks you were connecting to in Quebec weren’t configured to support Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calling.”

This seems likely to me. My employer (in the US) has public WiFi set up, but it is not set up to work with VOIP. It’s a security measure, the details of which I do not understand. At work my RW phone uses the WiFi for data (and text messaging, I think) but cell towers for voice calls. It wouldn’t surprise me if other businesses, including some in Canada, do this, too.