Leaving RW, have a question about transferring my number to new service

number_transfer

Hiya.

Well, after two years, I’m departing RW. It was good while it lasted but I need a new phone that I can put a Japanese SIM card in (study abroad for a year in Tokyo, wahoo!!), and the price is just right elsewhere in the US now that I’ve bought an unlocked for any carrier phone.

However, my new phone and SIM will not be arriving until early next week, and my RW ends in 2 days. I assume there will be a lapse of 2-3 days between the end of my RW service and when I can start my new service. I want to bring my current RW number to my new service.

Will I still be able to do this even though technically my RW account will not be active at the time of transfer?

Thank you and thanks for two years of endless 3G data at a good price!

Hi @castle!

Your account must remain active and in good standing in order to transfer your number. If your account expires, you will lose your number. Sometimes Republic does give you a few days of grace to pay your bill, but I don’t know what I would chance it. Republic does offer a pro-rated refund so you will get a refund for the rest of the month when you port out. Would you mind mentioning which carrier you are porting to?

mb2x

Well, I guess we’ll see what day my new SIM card and phone get here then. It’s not worth $30 to me to keep this number, that’s for sure.

I’m gonna check out MintSIM. Works over T-Mobile’s service. Introductory offer $55 for 3 months of unlimited talk, text, and data (5gb of 4G LTE per month), which will more than hold me until I’m out of the country in September.
My RW plan is/was a legacy plan for my Moto X (2nd gen/2014) where I got WiFi and Cell Talk and Text and 5gb of 3G Data for ~$30 a month. I use about 2.5gb-3gb per month of data, depending on my living situation and place of work.

MintSIM seems to fit my needs better at this time. Republic was great for me, and I don’t regret being on it while I was - I even had my mother on it for awhile - but the plans have changed and what I can get now is just not for me.

Ok. I just wanted to make sure your number would transfer. As I said, you will receive a pro-rated refund so you won’t be out the whole $30. You will get most of it back. Sad to see you go, but I hope that MintSIM works out for you! Hope to see you back some day!

Best of luck studying abroad @castle…sounds awesome. Tokyo is an amazing city.

We appreciate your trust in Republic Wireless and hope you’ll look us back up down the road!

Thank you for double checking for me!

I’ll definitely consider the pro-rated option. Now that I think about it, I do have a lot of contact info set to this phone number…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.