Let's discuss the experience of using the Huawei Ascend 5W

It appears that there is significant interest in this phone on the forums. I am hoping to either be set straight by you fine folks, or if not, simply warn others to stay away from this phone.

I’ve used many many Android and iOS phones and tablets in my lifetime. The only device worse than the Ascend 5W is a tablet I got from China way before Android tablets were ever a thing. Maybe in 2011. Yes this phone is that bad, to ME. Is there anyone who uses this phone day-to-day and disagree?

Here’s my issue: Lag. I know it’s not a powerhouse phone but the Snapdragon CPU in here theoretically should give a smooth experience. My Blu R1 HD ($110) is buttery smooth compared to this. From what I read about Huawei phones, their software is terrible and buggy. Is this what I’m experiencing? I’m just not sure because I have never seen this type of lag before.

I just pulled it out of my pocket and it openened immediately to my last app. Then took 2 seconds to get to the homescreen after pushing home. Messages took 3 seconds. The keyboard took over a second. Its super frustrating.

Yes I’ve messed with all the settings and yes I’ve rebooted and wiped it.

I just pulled it out of my pocket and it openened immediately to my last app. Then took 2 seconds to get to the homescreen after pushing home. Messages took 3 seconds. The keyboard took over a second. Its super frustrating.

My Ascend arrived about 3 1/2 weeks ago, is now my primary phone of use and have never experienced the lag you mentioned. My SOP is to go home and lock screen after use. Use print reader to instantly unlock, apps and keyboard open instantly.

Have you loaded any/many apps. I do remember reading in another discussion suggesting Google Now Launcher as an alternative for those who didn’t like the EMUI experience. I tried that, it was slower and looked tacky to me.

I’m rather pleased with my Ascend experience to date.

I have used the Ascend for one week, I used the default launcher most of the time and tried the google launcher only briefly. The lag was noticeable but may be user specific. Example may be if your prone to leaving many tabs open in the browser. I think the speed is sufficient for the price point.

I do not recommend buying the Huawei Ascend 5W. Yesterday the phone was in the front pocket of my jeans and as I sat down the casing of the phone bent. The power button is stuck to the case and the phone repeatedly powers on and off in cycles. I suggest looking for an different phone.

Play with the battery saving setting. I fixed the lag that way.

Concur.
Slow…
Also:
Dropped Calls galor when in my truck using Chevy Mylink. My MotoG3 never did this.
Using the phone keeps giving message about “Republic WIreless is currently recording audio.com. google. etc…” screen that keeps coming up over and over and over. Can’t pick up service where my MotoG3 had absolutely no problem. Now I’ve given my MotoG3 to the wife, and i’ll never get it back. Also had to upgrade from my old 2.0 plan. Lame junk phone. Guess I got what I paid for. Phft…