Linking RW Cellphone to Handset via Bluetooth?

I’m looking to replace my expensive landline with a RW cell phone, but I don’t want to lose our multiple handsets throughout the house. I considered the Extend Home option but decided against it because it relies on an internet connection.
Has anyone had any success with linking a RW cell phone to a handset via bluetooth (i.e. Panasonic Link2Cell or VTech Connect to Cell)? If so, what cell phone and handset products did you use? Any advice on this process?
If it didn’t work for you, is there a better way to solve this issue?
Thanks!

Welcome @jamesg.2ogy77,
Here are a couple of links that may be of some help

Hi @jamesg.2ogy77 and welcome to the Community!

I have experimented with a Panasonic KX-TG7741 (it’s a few years old) handset system that has Link2Cell and multiple Republic activated cell phones. I’ve not used VTech handsets.

It mostly worked, however, I do find Republic’s Extend Home adapter to be a more robust solution. I’ll concede Extend Home doesn’t work in the absence of an Internet connection, however, using Link2Cell (or Vtech’s similar technology) relies on Bluetooth. Consequently, the Republic activated cell phone needs to be physically within the vicinity of the Link2Cell base. Extend Home works even if the paired Republic cell phone is at the bottom of the ocean, turned off or merely out and about with its owner.

I also find the combination of multiple wireless technologies (Bluetooth to connect the handsets with the paired Republic activated phone and WiFi when the Republic activated phone is connected to WiFi rather than cell to be, well, flakey. Generally, a wired connection is more robust than wireless and there Extend Home’s Ethernet connection is, in my opinion, superior. Candidly, the only potential advantage I see to Link2Cell is in the event of an Internet outage. For me, an extended Internet outage is likely to also involve a power failure, in which case neither solution would continue to function though presuming its battery is sufficiently charged the Republic cell would continue to do so.

1 Like

Thank you. Excellent answer.

Given my limited knowledge, and learning curve, I tend to agree with everything you said. The only thing I would add to the conversation is that if we were to use the “Extended Home” adapter we would have to shift our phone from the kitchen to another room where the modem and router are located. This would not be a heartrending change, but is one I would like to avoid if at all possible.

I have one last option: I’m going to contact my Internet service provider to see if an old cable wire that I installed in the house in the kitchen years ago and have not used, can in fact be used or converted to some kind of connection from the router to the adapter. I kinda doubt it. I would like to keep that phone in the kitchen if at all possible.

As I said, excellent answer. Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. Take care.

Do you have working landline telephone jacks in the room where your Internet equipment is located and in the kitchen where you prefer the phone stay? If so, you could place the Extend Home adapter in the room with the Internet equipment, then run a standard telephone cable (RJ-11) from the adapter to a nearby telephone wall jack. You would then run a second standard telephone cable from a wall jack in the kitchen to the phone.

For the above to work, any traditional landline service must be disconnected from the wall jack. Traditional landline service often carries low voltage electricity, which is what keeps traditional landline service up and running during a power failure. Such low voltage electricity may interfere with the adapter or in the worst case scenario shot out the adapter’s circuitry.

1 Like

Excellent idea! I should’ve thought of that myself. Your suggestion is most doable.

So, I need to review the phone offerings at Republic Wireless, grab the most basic unit which we will practically never use, transfer the number, and now by a new phone system that doesn’t have its focus on Bluetooth. Where do for a new phone system. Plus, as I think I mentioned, while this does not give me a landline which is what I really wanted, it will save me a ton of money.

Last question, if I may: without putting you excessively to work, are there any documents or threads you would recommend so that we can put this adapter to proper intelligent use? Any “definitely do this” or “definitely don’t do that” recommendations? If you don’t have time to answer this question, don’t worry about it. I greatly appreciate what you’ve already done for us.

Perhaps sometime I can offer you some advice. But it would appear that’s rather doubtful: you seem to have a good handle on a lot of stuff.

If the paired cell phone would be used infrequently, you might consider a previously used Republic compatible phone: https://pages.republicwireless.com/swappa-rw

If not already done, please verify the number in question would transfer to Republic here: Make the Switch to Republic Wireless Today – Republic Wireless.

That your current handsets or any you might choose may or may not have Bluetooth capability is inconsequential. Pretty much any cordless or corded handset system capable of touch tones works with Extend Home. They’re still widely available at big box and office supply stores (Best Buy, Staples, Target, Walmart, etc.).

Granted, Extend Home isn’t a traditional landline. On the other hand, neither is home phone service supplied by a cable operator or, in some cases, the local telco necessarily traditional landline service either. The only thing traditional landline service does that Extend Home or other alternatives don’t is, perhaps, working during a power failure. One could add a UPS battery backup but if you keep the paired cell charged, that’s probably sufficient as an in case of power failure backup.

I suggest this effort from another Community member:

No one knows everything. One day I might very well benefit from your expertise. Also, we’d love to see you consider dropping into the Community if time permits. There may very well be others you might assist with their questions. And, that, members helping fellow members by sharing their expertise is what makes this Community special. I know of no other forum hosted by a cellular service provider that rivals it.

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you for such a thorough response. Again, all your points strike me as dead on. Thank you.

Let me hit you with one last short question: I presume that any voice messages will be held solely on the cell phone and not be transferred to the analog phone. Is that correct? A cursory review of the adapter information would lead me to believe that.

That may do it. I think, for your sake, we should hope I am done. Again, many thanks for your kindness and clearly capable and professional assistance.

Have a great day. And a most healthful and prosperous New Year!

1 Like

Hi @jamesg.2ogy77,

Voicemail is stored on Republic’s servers. You may dial into voicemail from either handsets attached to the Extend Home adapter or from the associated Republic cell phone itself. From handsets attached to the adapter, just dial *98

2 Likes

Again, thank you.

By the way, in the process of exploring my various home phone options, I have been in contact with various major and local companies, the names of many of which you know well. You, and Republic Wireless in general, were, without question, the most helpful and professional as compared to these other companies. Stunning difference. Thank you!

3 Likes

Can you handle one more question? – I have a telephone central/main “bar” to which I originally connected multiple phone lines spread throughout the house. Is there any reason I could not run the phone cable from the adapter to the main “bar”, in effect replacing the original telephone pole main connection with the one from the adapter. Then multiple phones would/could all be hooked up to the RW adapter input line. Or am I incorrect on this? I would still have the main phone with the cordless phone system. But the other phone would likewise (I presume) ring at the same time. You thoughts? And, thank you.

I need to be certain to what you are referring? Do you mean the “demarc” (the junction where the phone company’s wiring meets your house wiring)? If so, it would indeed be best to disconnect the phone company’s wiring at the demarc, so that no low-voltage electricity is running over your house wiring.

Then, if I’m understanding correctly, it would be possible to connect the adapter at the the demarc, thereby connecting it to your house’s internal wiring. It wouldn’t, however, be necessary. Merely connecting the adapter to any available wall jack in the house would allow for phones connected to other house jacks to work with the adapter.

There are limits to the number of phones that might ring though all should work. According to the specs for Grandstream’s HT801 ATA (analog telephone adapter), the maximum REN equivalence is 5. Collectively, connected phones would need not to exceed that REN equivalence. Republic’s Extend Home adapter is a customized Grandstream HT801 adapter.

For houses the demarc is usually on the outside of the house, so just unplug the rj11 connector in that box. Might be easier than trying to find/remove the connection on the main bar.

Thank you again for an excellent answer.

I am not referring to the “demarc”, but to a multi-access “bar” that is more commercial in nature. You can hookup, by splicing the phone wires by color into sharp slots, around 25 separate phone lines. The line from the “demarc” connects to this bar. Your point of making sure the phone company wiring is disconnected is clear and understood.

As for the REN limitation, I will have to read on that. I presume the HT801 spec sheet is what I should consult. I will have the main cordless phone, an office phone, and, I hope, a phone in a shop some 100’ away on the house wires.

Lastly, I have been following out the threads associated with the adapter. Question: is there one place that enumerates all the adapter features in place? I see there are FAQs that address the issues, but one summary I could print off and put next to the phone for reference would be great.

Thanks again for your assistance.

You’re welcome!

Presuming your house wiring runs from this “bar” to individual wall jacks, connecting the adapter to the “bar” should, in turn, allow for connecting corded phones and/or a cordless base to those wall jacks.

Yes, the Grandstream’s HT801 spec sheet is where I got the REN equivalence of 5 from. With reasonably modern phones using and electronic ringer, I don’t see an issue with the described use. Typically, REN limitations may be an issue when using older corded phones with mechanical as opposed to electronic ringers.

The closest official Republic documentation of the Extend Hone’s features is linked here:

1 Like

James, I connected Extend Home to my Panasonic base station when it first came out. I love it. About 6 months ago my cell phone failed. Because I had Extend Home calls to my failed cell phone still rang on all my Panasonic remotes. Because I had Republic Anywhere on my PC, I still had messaging. Finally, you might be aware of the Doze problem. Extend Home solves that too.

Bill

2 Likes

billg – Thank you for reaffirming this approach. And, no, I was not aware of the “Doze problem”, but I will read up on it.

jamesg.2oby77 – Just received my new phone and will soon get to business implementing the plan. Another question if I may, and I hope it will require just a short answer (given all you kind time): any reason I couldn’t run a blue Cat5 line to (next to) by phone “bar”? That would free up some limited space on the table where we have the modem and router. Thank you.

I don’t understand your question. Extend home simply requires one cat 5 cable running to the router, one phone line running to your base unit, and one cable running to a USB power source. If you there is no path for the cat 5 cable you can instead use a cat 5 - WiFi adapter. I tested one and it worked fine but I know the cat5 cable is faster and more secure.

We are almost there. All I was trying to say/ask was there any reason I could not run a Cat5 cable from the router some 25’ next to the bar from which I will be connecting my corded phones and/or cordless base to my wall jacks. It is simply a matter of de cluttering the area around the modem and the router on a small desk. No big deal here at all.

By the way, you mentioned “one cable running to a USB power source.” I presume you meant a standard outlet. My Grandstream power source is a wall plug.

Lastly, and this may be a “duh” stupid question, but the Moto E (XT2052-1) I purchased with the Grandstream has a SIM card stating “Don’t worry, we’ve already put your SIM card in your phone for you.” But the Grandstream also came with a SIM card. I presume I am supposed to swap out the SIM in the phone so that it works with the Grandstream – correct? There is no mention of doing this on the “Extend Home Set UP and Number Association” document under either the “Initial Setup” or “Associate a Phone Number” sections.

Thank you for your help and patience.

If I’m understanding correctly you wish to run the Cat5 Ethernet cable over a 25’ distance from the adapter’s location to your router, yes that’s fine. At a 25’ distance, I doubt it would matter but you might consider Cat5e or Cat6 rather than the older Cat5.

The power connector on the adapter is MicroUSB, so one could theoretically use an alternate USB source such as a computer’s USB port to power the adapter. There is no need to do so and, indeed, the power supply included with the adapter is intended to plug into a standard AC wall plug.

Just use the SIM already in the cellphone. Republic includes a SIM with the adapter for those who choose to source a compatible phone from a third party source other than its online store. Feel free to stash it as a spare or gift it to someone else potentially interested in Republic service.

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer