Linux Pine Phone

Can one expect that a Pine Phone, Community Edition - beta…Manjaro OS - would have basic functionality (call/text) with the Republic SIM? Is there any interest in beta testing for this platform? Here are basic specs:

PLATFORM
•Chipset: Allwinner A64
•CPU: 64-bit Quad-core 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex A-53
•GPU: MALI-400MP2

MEMORY
•Internal Flash Memory: 16GB eMMC
•System Memory: 2GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
•Expansion: micro SD Card support SDHC and SDXC, up to 2TB

COMMUNICATION
•Worldwide, Global LTE bands
•LTE-FDD: B1/ B2/ B3/ B4/ B5/ B7/ B8/ B12/ B13/ B18/ B19/ B20/ B25/ B26/ B28
•LTE-TDD: B38/ B39/ B40/ B41
•WCDMA: B1/ B2/ B4/ B5/ B6/ B8/ B19
•GSM:■■■■■■■■■■■■■■1900MHz
•WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, single-band, hotspot
•Bluetooth: 4.0, A2DP
•GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS

Thanks…Jerry

ps - I tried to tag this with early adopter - no go

It wouldn’t work with Republic Wireless…at all. It won’t be on anyone’s ready for prime time list for quite a while, if ever. It can’t even do MMS messaging yet.

Thanks for the info - it is disappointing that there isn’t a good alternative to Apple/Android. Development of an alternate must be more involved than a layperson realizes. Understanding that there are significant costs to developing systems - it is surprising that a decent alternative can’t get off the ground - maybe there just isn’t enough demand. Thanks again.

If there was enough demand for it the PostmarketOS (Android) version… maybe but I doubt the pure Linux version as it would require basically an entire rewrite of their software suite for the Linux ecosystem.

The Pine Phone is not really intended for general use… it’s more a device for developers to use to get apps ready.

I think Manjaro Mobile / KDE Mobile has a lot of potential but it still has a few years that it needs to mature.

2 Likes

Huawei is developing their own OS.

Message an
Expert customer