Local Number Advantage?

number_transfer

When I first got my Republic service, they did not have rights to any local numbers in my area, and thus I was assigned a number for an area on the other side of the state, in a different area code. This was a bit frustrating at first, and I contacted support but they didn’t have any way to get me a more local number at the time. This was over a year ago, maybe more. I liked all other aspects of the service so I rolled with it, I’ve been pretty happy with it, and it has worked okay if not a little confusing for people I interact with to comprehend. (No I haven’t moved…yes I’m local…yes it’s me not a scammer texting you…)

Now time has passed and Republic’s connections have advanced it would seem, and I see my old local number is available. (I retained my older AT&T flip phone for emergencies and let family members borrow it, so I still have my “old” number from my first cell phone…and I’ve already got it memorized.)

But, I’ve finally gotten everyone accustomed to my weird other side of the state number. I’ve used my number a lot of places. Everyone I know now has my goofy number. It’s a bit of a pain to switch numbers again. I’m not sure how the back end of this works, are there any other advantages to changing it now over the fact I’ll have a local number? Things like tower availability, roaming determination, and such that might be an advantage if the phone knows it’s where it is supposed to be, or is all that programmed from another reference. I notice one nearby town has strong coverage for that area on the map but I do not get any coverage there (emergency calls only), and I’ve wondered why when the coverage map is pretty accurate most other places.

I’m just curious if there are any technical reasons to use a local number that might be of benefit outside of it just messing with folks head when I say “area code” and give them all 10 digits every time I tell someone my number.

Thank you!

Hi @Mapper,

The location of one’s phone number has no impact of any kind on coverage. About the only advantage to a local number would be for folks calling you from a landline and then only if they were paying long-distance fees to their landline service provider. Yes, in some cases, those still exist in the landline world but you’d already know if this were impacting anyone calling you regularly.

3 Likes

Your post prompted me to check and see if my old number can now be used with RW and turns out it can! Too bad I let it go when I joined.

If you didn’t want to retain that at&t flip phone bill you could port the old number to google voice for a one time fee of $20. There would be no monthly bill and you could forward it to your “new number” in case anyone called it.

3 Likes

Thanks, I suspected it didn’t matter but if there was some other reason to get a local number back it would weigh in on if I want to go to the trouble.

I wish I had known about that at the time when I first got Republic, would have solved the issue. For all I know it wasn’t an option at the time though. Might still be an option, thanks for the idea. Since I still have the number for now though I suspect if I decide to change numbers I’ll just go back to my old local number and leave it at that. I don’t have a huge list of people that call me on my current number, and anyone that hasn’t interacted for a while I guess will just be out of luck if I change it. I’m more bothered with having used it as my number for various accounts and business type stuff and trying to find it all and change it.

Message an
Expert customer