Looking for cheapest phone for no data plan

I’ve got a teen who has issues with breaking or losing her stuff. I currently have her on her 3rd $10 phone, but after switching my other lines to Republic, ATT charges $50 a month for hers.

I want to switch her to the $15 Republic plan, but not pay $100 for something that may not survive long. I’d love to just use the $10 phone but it won’t work with Republic.

It doesn’t need to do anything but work for calls/texting (no data, apps, camera etc.). Any tips on what to look for?

Hi @rachrw,

The least expensive phone Republic sells new is the $99 Alcatel A30. Frankly, I don’t recommend it. In my experience, it’s just not a very good phone. The least expensive phone Republic sells I would recommend is the $129 Moto E5 Play. Please do check coverage on any phone of interest will work in your area by starting here: 4G LTE + WiFi for the Best Cell Phone Coverage | Republic Wireless.

You might see about sourcing a Republic compatible phone elsewhere for less. A fellow member offers an excellent resource here: How to Find a Compatible Unlocked Phone. Republic’s guidance is here: How to Bring Your Own Phone to Republic Wireless (BYOP) – Republic Help

a quick check for older used phones that Republic supports (even budget models Samsung J3, Moto E4, Moto G4 Play) are all going for about $100, (some down to $80) (this is on ebay/swappa/google shopping)
$100 is the going rate for a working budget smart phone (and most likely any phone priced lower will be subsidized or have major issue {bad battery, broken screen, or other hardware issue)