Looking to join RW, my current phone is compatible with 2.0. What does this mean?

I have a Moto X2 which I like and would like to keep, but according to the app it is not compatible. On the website phone list the Moto X2 is included, but only in “2.0” mode. What do these numbers mean?

Contrary to popular belief, the Moto X2 is actually carrier unlocked. Does this help in my case?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Another thing - I’d be ok with a plan that included say, only 1 GB of 4G, but then was unlimited on 2/3G. Is there something like that available?

0 Likes

Hi @Netizen129!

Let me break this down. First off, if your X2 is NOT a Republic version of the X2, you cannot bring it to Republic, so, no, you cannot bring your X2 to Republic. Please see this article: Can I Bring My Moto X2 to Republic Wireless? – Republic Help . With that being said, I will break down the numbering. When you see 1.0 and 2.0, those are referring to Republic’s first two initial plan offerings. 1.0 plans were unlimited plans and users cannot activate new lines on the unlimited plans. 2.0 refers to Republics second generation plans known as Refund plans. These plans refund you for unused data. You can still activate new lines on the Refund plans. However, the phone selection for the 1.0 and 2.0 plans is limited to the following phones: Moto X1, Moto X2, Moto G1, Moto G3, Moto E1, and the Moto E2. Republic no longer sells these phones and they must be bough from third-parties (like eBay or Swappa). If you choose to buy them used, you must make sure they are Republic versions and not factory unlocked versions.

Republic offers plans with 1gb of data, but not unlimited data afterwards. I would recommend buying a phone from this list . You can either buy these phones from Republic or buy them used and bring them to Republic. These phones operate on a newer plan structure just introduced in the last month. The plans are a great deal. The base price for unlimited talk and text is $15 and every GB of data you buy is $5 a gig (so if you wanted 1gb of data, it would be $20. 2gb of data would be $25). If you run out of data mid-cycle, you can buy another gb for $5 (which expires at the end of the cycle). I hope that helps! Feel free to ask anymore questions :wink: .

mb2x

1 Like

Thank you, this was super informative.

I’m a big fan of the unlocked phone concept. Are Republic specific phones compatible with any other networks?

Is there some understandable and justifiable reason Republic decided to lock the phone situation down so much?

And to confirm, I could use a Moto X2 on Republic, but I’d have to find a RW version of it, correct? And even then I wouldn’t be able to access the most recent plan packages, yes?

Thanks so much for your detailed and thorough answer. You da real MVP.

0 Likes

Hi @Netizen129!

The 1.0 and 2.0 phones are only compatible with Republic. The reason for them being locked down is because Republic used to use a custom ROM for it’s special Wi-Fi calling. This all changed with 3.0 (no longer available) and the current My Choice plans. The current phones sold by Republic are sold factory unlocked. The phones on this list (excluding the 1.0 and 2.0 phones listed at the bottom) can be bought and brought to Republic as long as they are the right model and, in some cases, SKU as well.

And to confirm, I could use a Moto X2 on Republic, but I’d have to find a RW version of it, correct? And even then I wouldn’t be able to access the most recent plan packages, yes?

Yes! You’ve got it!

Glad I could help, let me know if you have any further questions!

mb2x

1 Like

Awesome, thanks. I’ve been considering grabbing a Moto G5 Plus (64GB) for a while now and this may seal the deal for me.

Just to be absolutely sure, buying it unlocked from any vendor it will work on Republic, yeah?

Thanks again. You rock.

0 Likes

Hi again @Netizen129!

Not quite. Unfortunately, only specific models will work with Republic at this time. The compatible model for the G5 Plus is XT1687 . For future reference, you can use this wizard to find the compatible model number . I would encourage you to go ahead and use the wizard to make sure BYOD is available in your area (based on coverage).

mb2x

1 Like

Hmmm. What’s the difference between the models? US/International?

I’m looking to snag this, which claims to be the right model number. Thoughts?

0 Likes

Hello @Netizen129!

That phone is good to go (assuming the seller is telling the truth)! Republic doesn’t have the resources to test every model of every phone so they only choose specific phones and model number(s) to test. This ensures that you get a superb experience with fewer supported phones/models as opposed to a “meh” experience with a ton of supported phones/models. The differences between model numbers can be US vs international and/or Unlocked vs Sprint editions. I hope that helps!

mb2x

0 Likes

Awesome. Snagged it. I’ll be with you on RW soon!

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi @Netizen129!

Awesome! Did you make sure to run the wizard to ensure that BYOD is compatible in your area?

mb2x

0 Likes

The Moto G5 Plus is a great phone, my sister just got one. Don’t forget to buy a Republic SIM to go with the phone if you have not already. :slight_smile:

1 Like

closed #13

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer