Lost phone while overseas help

What phone do you have? moto x 4

What plan are you on? annual

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? includes data

Issue Description

phone lost while travelling overseas. I am overseas now.

How to easily get phone non operational. I am unable to telephone anyone.
I am not technology savy. I just want my phone locked down.
Thank you for help

Hi @evl – Sorry to hear that you have lost your phone. Here are three articles that might help. Lots of links in them for more information.

Google Help Page – https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6160491?hl=en&_ga=2.157978995.893398604■■■■■■■■■■■■904121995■■■■■■■■■■■

Here’s a quote from @southpaw, the Community Manager, from another thread about “locking down” a phone. It clarifies some other points –

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

This is news after your fact but Norton Mobile Security has functions that can remotely scream, locate by GPS, or lock your phone as soon as you can login to your Norton account on some computer somewhere. Overseas I would look for the nearest internet cafe or travelling companion with a computer or phone to login to your Norton account. Change your Norton login as soon as you can reach a secure internet connection.

Additionally, use a password manager and use 2FA to login to the manager. I use a Yubikey with a USB adapter to the phone because the 2FA normally received on your phone is gone with the wind or pickpocket if stolen.

I see a lot of tourists in Europe with phones in their back pockets or in a bag or backpack with zippers. The bags are cut with razor blades. By the time you notice the contents spilling the gypsy is halfway down the block with the good stuff they can recognize in a heartbeat. The pocketed phones are simply lifted from pocket or purse. Doh!

No need to purchase a 3rd party product for this. For several years now this is built in to Android: https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager It will locate, lock or ring at maximum volume.

…and it’s a very good feature but I avoid using anything Google if possible.

Well given that Android = Google and Google = Android using anything on an Android phone is using Google. The Norton App uses the Android Location Service, which is a Google service. The Norton remote locking uses the Android Security Provider. It is no more possible to avoid Google on an Android phone than it is to avoid Microsoft on a Windows Computer.

1 Like

Norton is discontinuing the Anti Theft feature as of December 9, 2019. For that Google feature to work the user has to be logged-in on the phone to the user’s Google account. I don’t login to Google unless I’m downloading from Play Store. During most of this year I had deleted my Google account and only reactivated when I needed to download a new browser through Play Store. So, it is possible to keep Google at arm’s length as much as possible and it is possible to use Android apps without having an active Google account.

Thank you for the help on my lost phone. I just yesterday returned from Ethiopia - I was able to find a wifi hotspot and go thru the steps of deleting all the data on the lost phone using the google steps that were provided. At least I felt like my phone was deleted. Now that I am in the U.S. my problems have begun. I will write another post and seek help for getting a new phone and logging into google.
ev

Message an
Expert customer