Loud red warning about viruses advertising an anti virus app

Anybody got this? I just did today. Very obtrusive, seems like a scam.

Any reality checks?

Hi @bobh.zakzkv!

Sounds like a scam. Especially if it is prompting you to donload or buy something. You could try downloading another antivirus app and running a scan, but I would say there is a 99% chance that there is really no threat. I hope that helps!

mb2x

2 Likes

Just to add, usually the ones to be suspect are the ones that warn you right away. Did you download a new app or have you always had this issue?.

1 Like

Were you on Google Chrome when this thing appeared? If so just go into settings for chrome and delete the history from the beginning of time as chrome asks… This is a scam to get you to click on something then they will fix you For a price.

Edit
I see you were on YouTube. Cleat the tube history or cache Sorry I dont watch youtube

No, I did not download a new app, or do anything else unusual. First time I ever saw anything like that on my phone (Moto X Pure).

This says Android viruses don’t exist:

So I wonder how I ran into the warning? I had just watched a youtube video of a church choir (ironically).

This says Android viruses and other malware do exist:

(The usually conflicting info on the internet…)

They do exist, yes. They are not as prevalent as Widows viruses. Unless your are downloading sketchy apps (a flashing app that requires 12 permissions) and/or visiting sketchy websites and downloading files, it’s unlikely you have a virus.

Thanks. No sketchy apps, no sketchy sites, not downloading files. I still wonder how I ran into that popup, though…

Do you have an antivirus app installed? If so, which one? Where you browsing Chrome or watching a video or something?

I do not have an antivirus app installed. I was both browsing and watching a couple of short movies on youtube in chrome.

Good Morning @bobh.zakzkv,

What you are describing is a browser highjack not a virus (which indeed exist but are rare on Android). Simply restarting your phone may get rid of the experience. If you’ve already tried that and/or it doesn’t work, please try the following:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Tap Apps.
  3. Scroll to, then tap Chrome.
  4. Tap Storage.
  5. Tap Clear Cache.
  6. Restart your phone.
5 Likes

Scam. I have experienced these before. And, of course, the alleged “virus” can only be removed by an app that they, coincidentally, have available on Google Play…

1 Like

That is my conclusion, too, after a lot of web searching.

1 Like

rolandh, thanks for the advice. So far, I don’t seem to need to Clear Cache, but I bookmarked your answer just in case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer