Loyal to RW, Tempted by Mint Mobile

It exactly. My wife and kids insist they need to be on an unlimited plan. With Covid none of them have used more than 1GB in the last 6 or so months. We would have saved a ton with Republic, but the magic of marketing…

1 Like

Try Mint Mobile. 3G of data for only 15 bucks a month if you get the 12 month program. It should be similar to the 50% discount from here. Tello Mobile also has pick or choose the lowest is 8 bucks without data or 10 bucks with 1G I’m planning on moving to Mint Mobile soon to save some costs

Wow I was just about to begin a discussion about Mint Mobile because I just got an email from them with what looks like an awesome deal, and I wanted to ask if it was worth it. But reading many other comments on here has kept me loyal to RW. Thanks to those who posted on here!

2 Likes

I used RW for a few years and was quite content, but once they switched to the Clear Choice Plans, they forced me to look to a different carrier. I first switched to RedPocket and they were pretty good as they use AT&T which seems to work everywhere. The main issue was lack of WiFi calling, which became an issue once I moved to a new home where the service was spotty so this didn’t work for me anymore. This is when I discovered Mint Mobile. They offer about 3-4x’s more data than RW and WiFI calling/text. Yes, you do have to pay upfront to get the best prices, but trust me after you test it out for about 3 months, you will wonder why in the world you were ever on RW in the first place.

RW is good company with a good service, but they’re nothing more than a VoIP provider. RW is simply a paid version of Google Voice. I see a lot of comments about the great forums and support the RW community provides, which is true. However, once you switch to another provider, you will never need to contact Customer Support. The reason RW needs these forums is because their app is a constant challenge to manage. That’s essentially the main reason I decided to move on from RW, the app can be a headache. The constant switching from WiFi to cellular caused me to miss and/or drop a ton of calls in the years I was with RW. The amount of data they provide is simply antiquated. I get 8GB of data and can make WiFi calls with Mint all for $20 per month ($240 a year). RW can’t come anywhere near that.

And yes, I know everyone will mention the WiFi calling can be used anywhere, even overseas, which is absolutely true. I’ve used RW in multiple countries over WiFi with little issue, but with WhatsApp, Meet, Zoom, etc… who cares. There are so many other options of staying in contact with people while traveling, this is a moot point. Lastly, Mint provides international roaming (at a nominal cost) if you really need to make a few calls. Trust me, you will not look back. RW is still good, but their falling behind in terms of value.

Until you wind up in a location where T-Mobile has congestion and the fact that Mint is prioritized as an MVNO and Republic has the same prioritization as postpaid means that Mint is unusable while Republic remains usable. This isn’t theory, it happened to me when testing and continues to happen with me on my Ultra Mobile configured phone.

There are good reasons to use other carriers (as there are to use Republic) but to say that “they’re nothing more than a VoIP provider” is, if I may borrow a phrase from our President elect, pure malarky.

And how often does this actually happen to validate paying more for you service every month? T-Mobile works in practically every major city so unless you’re in the boonies this is a moot point. And RW is considered a VoIP Provider. You can barely use your phone number on RW because some services with SMS don’t even recognize them as a Wireless Carrier and won’t send you messages.

Do I think RW is a good company, of course as I had them for a few years. All I’m saying is people should start to compare their options because based on their situation and location another carrier could possibly work better for them.

1 Like

In New York City, every single day. In Washington DC, ever single day. In Dallas, every time I have visited, same in LA, Austin, San Francisco and Boston. Cell networks in major cities are overburdened on pretty much every carrier. Having lower priority makes the experience ■■■■.

This is vastly overstated. First, SMS authentication is going away overall because it isn’t secure. Second, most serious providers offer alternatives to SMS authentication (like an app). Finally, those that refuse to budge are making a policy choice not to have me as a customer and there are pretty much always alternatives. Buh Bye Venmo, hello Cash App.

Sure, and so could a different car, bank, spouse, or pair of shoes. I assume you’re visiting banking sites, dating sites, car shopping sites and shoe stores to tell people to shop around?

I have been a republic wireless customer for not less than six years and I had four lines with them. lost one line to my granddaughter’s iPhone they had to go to another carrier. getting ready to lose another line to my wife because she needs at least one gig of data but I won’t pay more than $15 a month so mint mobile covers that. I have one gig of data for about $20 a month plus taxes and fees and I’m not sure how much longer I can justify that. Staying in town most of the time I don’t have a problem getting data at all anywhere and my coverage is excellent both at home and out driving around. I would just love to be able to use some data without being concerned about being 30 or $40 a month for through republic.

1 Like

Tempted by Mint Mobile, I do not get the extra data plan ($5.00) as I only need data occasionally for navigation. Any plans for something that would help users in my situation?

!

Each of us evaluate a phone service our own way above is an image of a professional corporation reviewing phone services all of them you can look to see where Republic rates, you can look to see where AT&t T-Mobile and others rate, you can sée where Google is, you can look where mint mobile is. Instead of individuals expressing an opinion on their One phone, it is better to look at an overall view and then balance that with your own personal needs. I have been a Republic wireless customer since a year after it started. I had 4 lines with them I am down to two and one of those that I gave away went to mint with my wife. Wi-Fi calling works perfectly texting works perfectly and the 3 gig of data for $5 less a month than one half gig of data was before works perfectly. She’s thrilled and quite frankly I’m paying $25 a month plus tax just under 30 a month total for 1 g of data which I really don’t use but for $15 a month I can get three times the data and equal quality calling. That’s my evaluation what’s yours?

Candidly, any “professional corporation” that ranks Comcast’s Xfinity Mobile #1 is suspect in my opinion. Perhaps, I’m being overly cynical but I’d note CNBC is part of NBC/Universal, in turn, owned by um Comcast.

In any event, what I ask for is value for my dollar at what I define as a fair price for quality service. For me, Republic meets that criteria. Does Republic offer me the least expensive option? Candidly, not necessarily. I’m aware of potentially less expensive market options.

Your screenshots also appear to be comparing coverage rather than overall service or pricing. Coverage is location dependent. Where I’m at T-Mobile network coverage is the best available. Republic’s partnership with T-Mobile provides equivalent coverage to T-Mobile proper, in my area and I’ve tested side-by-side.

Here’s the beauty of Republic’s 3.0 platform. All Republic 3.0 compatible phones are factory unlocked. It’s relatively easy to swap in a competitor’s SIM and try them out. If the grass is indeed greener on the other side, so be it.

1 Like

Which makes it even more suspect.

Xfinity and Spectrum use the same network.
Metro, Mint, Ultra, and Republic use the same network.

Somehow though they get different scores. You know what they say, garbage in, garbage out.

1 Like

Roland, that is a great level-headed response to my frustration. I almost feel apologetic for being so strong in my frustration but I am trying to drive Republic wireless customers to demand fair treatment when compared to the New kids on the block. I’m didn’t ask for cheapest I didn’t ask for anything other than changed to be market competitive. Data is much more expensive in our case on Republic monthly cost is a bit more expensive maybe 20% on Republic and phone options are very low and Republic period but I’ve been with Republic for eight years and I thought they were super great in the beginning I think they’re okay now but they’re falling further and further behind. Again thanks for your response I appreciate it

1 Like

If I may add to Roland’s value point here, what you state might be true if you’re looking only at price. On the other hand, when I look at the value of my Republic account there’s pretty significant value in the Extend Home. Given that the line that I’m using with Republic needs very little data (less than 1GB a month) and the fact that Extend Home costs me nothing, makes the line a great value.

2 Likes

And Republic Anywhere adds value to Republic lines too!

2 Likes

I have recently left RW after being a customer since 2013. Over the years I brought in 15 other people. But I have recently switched to MintMobile. Why? Well, not only because of the cost, but because the service has become unreliable over the years: dropped calls, not sent text messages, bad signal, etc.

The cost of Text & Talk (no data) RW Plan is the same as MintMobile + 4GB plan. MintMobile works in Canada and Mexico, also works over Wifi. I’ve been using it for 3 months and I’m very happy with it.

What about the other 15 people? They all have also left RW and some have also switched to MintMobile.

I just don’t see a single reason to stay with RW.

Republic Wireless needs to rethink their strategy otherwise they’ll keep losing customers.

Thank you for that tip on HowardForums.

I am a departing happy Beta Subscriber, heading to Mint Mobile because my annual renewal for the 1GB plan (with taxes & surcharges after Beta discount) which would have happened tomorrow, is now $25+ more than the annual plan (with taxes & surcharches) at Mint Mobile. Getting an extra 3GB/mo in the process is a real plus, which will largely get used anyway as I am traveling more this year. As a retiree living in inflationary times, this is purely a financial decision. It was fun participating in the beta program and in later features betas. I will have only fond memories of Republic Wireless.

3 Likes

Hi @briang.55tmk,

Thanks for letting us know your reasons, and for the kind words as you depart. We hope you’ll keep an eye on us, and maybe even come back one day in the future.

Agree with your comments. We at Republic need to update our offerings/prices to remain competitive. Hopefully the new owners will permit updated offerings soon.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer