Major Moto X crash yesterday

My Moto X1 (still on Plan 2.0) was working fine until around lunch yesterday when I found the phone off and the battery completely dead. Once on the charger for a few minutes it started up but then began optimizing apps, as if it had just installed a new OS (this was already done 2 weeks ago already). Once all of this was done, the phone started up but got excessively hot, operated incredibly slowly (major lag in apps) and would not connect phone calls in wireless.

I ultimately had to perform a factory reset and reinstall everything. It’s working fine now, nothing a few wasted hours of my life couldn’t fix, but thought it was interesting that it occurred on the first day of the new cycle marking exactly 2 years since coming to RW and getting this first gen Moto X. Coincidence?

I’m not sure what could have corrupted a file so bad that it crashed my entire phone, but it should be noted that I run the ‘advanced’ Kaspersky mobile internet security, so I’d be surprised if it were a virus of some kind (plus, I don’t do shady stuff on my phone…) I also have not installed any new apps lately, my phone is pretty bare bones and I don’t have a lot of bloatware apps on it, cept for maybe FB, Weatherbug, etc.

Anyone have anything like that happen with Moto X?

Hi @justink.3hq2o9

Sorry to hear about the issues you experienced yesterday with the X1. I noticed irregularities yesterday and some today on my X2. I just figured the airwaves/bandwidth was overwhelmed being the holiday and all…(my chromebook ate through the battery overnight when it usually lasts days off the charger…)

Just for future reference, these are some good maintenance procedures that I perform at least once a month on a regular basis.

https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/54230#comment-448820 (The magic 6)

No idea what the issue may have been, but glad you were able to recover.

I don’t have a lot of bloatware apps on it, cept for maybe FB, Weatherbug, etc.

This is most likely source of your issue. A recent update to FB apps caused phones to freeze, report “no sim card” error,

and in some cases restart for no good reason. The fix has been to uninstall the FB apps. General consensus has been that it is safe to reinstall these apps after uninstalling them and confirming that phone is working ok. However, some members have reported recurrence of the issue and keeping the FB apps uninstalled seems to be the more stable fix.

Alternative means of accessing FB such as through Chrome have worked for these members.

Once on the charger for a few minutes it started up but then began optimizing apps, as if it had just installed a new OS

This has been a widely reported issue since the Lollipop update last year. When the phone is restarted while connected to a charger, it goes through this optimizing apps process. There are some workarounds to this behavior but I couldn’t quickly locate the link. Restarts while not connected to charger seems to progress normally for most members although

I have seen some discussions where members have reported this behavior with a normal restart without being connected to a charger.

first day of the new cycle marking exactly 2 years since coming to RW and getting this first gen Moto X. Coincidence?

Spooky as it sounds…you can rest assured that Republic is not trying to invoke the “kill” switch on your phone to get you to buy a new phone!

amitl wrote:

There are some workarounds to this behavior but I couldn’t quickly locate the link.

optimizing apps

Phone constantly “optimizing apps” on startup

I’d recommend that anybody using a X1 begin to look around at your new phone options sooner than later.

My X1 began having cell reception problems in July, went through a lengthy troubleshooting process with RW support and ended up having to purchase a replacement phone with relatively short notice. It’s now a total brick showing zero charged when put on chargers and will not turn on. Obviously it was/is an issue with the gently used Moto and not RW.

Glad to hear you were able to get yours back up and working.

Add that you should say that… Since the 2-year kill switch (winks) problem a few days ago when my battery got really hot, it is not holding charge very long.

Also had an issue last night for over an hour where I was in a nearly full-bar, LTE non-roaming coverage area and could not get data to work, at all. I was pretty pissed… Side note, I made sure to update my PRL/profile after the crash, so that shouldn’t be it…

I appreciate your reply, most informative!

“I’d recommend that anybody using a X1 begin to look around at your new phone options sooner than later.”

My issues with this are twofold… #1, I’m not impressed with any of RW’s current phone offerings and #2, are they still forcing you to the 3.0 plans if you buy a new phone? Fairly sure I’m going elsewhere once I’m slammed out of 2.0.

Justin, et al

MotoX Gen1 here is having the same problems as of Nov 27. Started with high battery drain, and then froze overnight - woke up to see 11:02PM on the home screen. Touch is not working. Got SIM error message. I’m going to try the reboot, and the FB reinstalls.

I’ve experienced all sorts of intermittent bugs with both my Moto X1 and my wife’s Moto X1 since we upgraded to Lollipop. We run different third-party apps and yet experience the same exact bugs, so I’m certain that third-party apps are not at fault. My mother left her Moto X1 on Kit Kat and has experienced almost none of those bugs.

When my phone isn’t rebooting itself, it still runs fine for the most part. But I dropped it again a week ago and consider myself lucky the screen didn’t crack (can’t say the same for the rim of the case). The day is quickly coming when I must replace it. Do any of you have an opinion on what would be the best replacement? I would prefer something that is not much more expensive than the Moto X1 was but is durable to survive a few drops without cracked glass and will not behave as buggy after the next Android update. Thoughts?

You probably should have made a new thread for this, but here are a few things to note.

• Most phones without a case will not survive a drop on a solid surface from hand height.

• Phones with thin bezels and thin bodies are more likely to be damaged from smaller bumps.

• Look at newer phones in the linup that will have support for Oreo if you want a (hopefully), less buggy experience.

I would personally recommend the E4 or G5 series. If you want something more up-market like the X4 or Samsung you will 100% need a case because of the glass backs.

Thanks for your thoughts, Burusutazu. What thin case (something less bulky than an Otterbox) would you recommend for one of the new Motorola phones?

I don’t have a case on my Moto G5s+ s I don’t know much about what to suggest, but any case on amazon with good reviews should work fine.

We use this one and like it a lot. I actually have the same case on my Galaxy S8 as well. https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Rugged-Resilient-Absorption-Carbon/dp/B0731QBBYY/