Managing Doze Mode - calls received via cell, go to voicemail or are missed (phone is on WiFi)

• Users with adequate WiFi, but poor cell service, can find their incoming calls going to voicemail if their phone has been sleeping for a while. This happens because after sleeping for some period of time, the Android Doze function turns off WiFi. When a call comes in, RW attempts to awaken the phone but if it doesn’t wake up fast enough to reply to RW’s interrogation they sends the call via cell … but if cell service is unavailable the call goes to voicemail.

Here are a couple of work-arounds for the problem developed by community members:

Latest Method to Manage Doze by @jBen

Some devices and later levels of OS have shown to use a different interval of time before Doze turns off the WiFi made it was necessary to take a different approach. This combined with the major improvements in the Connectivity Status Notifications resulted in the following

The latest iteration has been uploaded to MacroDroid and it is available to anyone as a Template and prevents you from having to build it yourself .

1. Download from the Play Store and Open the free MacroDroid
  2. Select Templates (center left grey) Home Screen
  3. Search for Doze Detect - ver 0.9.4 (current version is labeled 0.9.4 and valid for 3.0 RW App 3.21.1.1 and higher) …('Doze Detect’would be a valid search argument)
  4. Once located TAP the Macro, then hit the Plus (bottom right in the White circle) to save local on your phone .
    • This should put it in the Macros section of the Home page
    • Ensure it is toggled on … both slides to the right: Category/Communication and Doze Detect (not greyed out).

Changes this iteration:

Due to the occasional failure that required the screen to be turned on and let time out, it is now turned on when the RW Notification is ‘On Cell’, and then when the 2nd RW Notification (which normally will be On WiFi) is detected the display is turned off to conserve battery life

Note: If this doesn’t work for you, it would be helpful if you could provide some feedback, either as a Comment or DM to me @jBen

• Which Phone & OS level
  • Your description of the problem encountered.
  • Screenshot of the last couple pages of User Logs
    • Logs are accessible from the MacroDroid App / :menu: Menu (top left) / User Logs

Original Method to Manage Doze by @billg

1. Go to the Play store and install the free Macrodroid app:

The macro turns the screen on every 50 minutes preventing the phone from entering the Doze mode. This will drain the battery a little faster depending on one’s display settings. The app can be turned on and off with a simple toggle.

Turning the screen off immediately after turning it on can extend the battery life BUT on Samsung phones this forces you to use a PIN instead of the fingerprint sensor on your next access. On my S7 I deleted this step and let the screen turn off by itself.

It is quite likely this work-around will also fix a problem where WiFi disconnects in Doze which, in turn, causes the phone to use cellular data (if LTE service is available) while connected to WiFi. That problem can also be fixed by toggling WiFi off and back on again but the Macrodroid work-around makes that unnecessary.

Updated 4/10/2019

This discussion has been ‘trimmed’ to just contain the original and latest iteration of the available fix. It is readily admitted that this does not ‘fix’ all the problems that users may encounter when the WiFi is disabled by Doze (an Android function), but it has been a help to some

• If you try this and it doesn’t work for you, please provide feedback via a comment or DM to @jben, so we can understand how the problem manifests itself in your environment
2 Likes

Getting “Voice calls only” and using huge, unintended amounts of Cell Data
Voice Calls Only message that goes away after password entry
Getting just outline of RW arc often
Phone doesn't ring on my end
Community Challenge 5: MacroDroid Automations
Android pi wifi sleep issues?
Why does my data switch from Wi-Fi to cell
Mobile Data Turned on and WiFi Turned Off AutoMagically
Diagnostic test help please
Samsung J3 sometimes goes straight to voicemail
Inbound calls come in on Cell instead of wifi
Inbound cellular calls go straight to voice mail new moto g6
Wifi connected, says I have emergency call only... it calls out and takes calls in but not always
Is Republic still WiFi first?
Incoming phone calls
G5s Plus Mobile WiFi drop solved
Missing calls constantly

Hi @billg,

I can see there was an edit today.

Are there any changes?

Thanks.

:flight_departure:

0 Likes

If you click on the 42 at the top right of the post…you can see a side-by-side comparison of the last two versions.

Looks like the only change was clarification that Macrodroid can be downloaded from the playstore and the free version is sufficient for this functionality.

2 Likes

Thanks. I see now that it was highlighted orange.

1 Like

Message an
Expert customer