March 31, 2022 - Then What?

So I’m getting even MORE confused reading some of the replies about T-Mobile shutting down service on 3/31/2022.

If someone could clarify what happens to those people who STAY on their existing RW service after March 31, 2022. Do our numbers get ported to the new service? Do our phones simply stop working? Will we be forced into one of the new plans? What happens if our annual plan goes well beyond March 31, 2022 - do we get it refunded?

I believe that date only refers to phones on 1.0/2.0 plans affected by the Sprint 3G shutdown. Those phones are:

• Moto E 1st Gen
  • Moto E 2nd Gen
  • Moto G 1st Gen
  • Moto G 3rd Gen
  • Moto X 1st Gen
  • Moto X 2nd Gen

Outside of those phones, there should be nothing to worry about.

there are a couple of 3.0 phones that do not support VoLTE and are also effected the Huawei Ascend 5W and the Samsung J3 (2016 version)

edit also any active Defy beta phone will be effected

1 Like

Where in your RW Account can you find out if you’re on 1.0/2.0/… plans? I’m in my account, but nothing clearly states what plan I’m on.

the short answer is “details are not fully known”

As we get closer Republic will be making announcements on what will happen the most likely action if you do not switch to a new phone on new plans is the lines will be canceled (same for CDMA active 3.0 phones when that Network shuts down it’s 4G LTE network (targeted for June 30th 2022) though depending on which phone it may just need a New SIM and not qa new phone)

which phone(s) are you using the 1.0/2.0 plans are only on the phones listed by @cbwahlstrom (and there the only phones that can use those plans)

None of the 1.0/2.0 plan phones would be on an annual plan. The annual plans didn’t exist for those phones. If you are affected in any way I’m sure Republic Wireless will contact you prior to any service interruption.

1 Like

Does your plan reference My Choice? If so, you have no immediate cause for concern and are not impacted by the March 31, 2022 deadline.

1 Like

I’m using a Moto X (4), so I should be OK. Its just super frustrating to hear RW responses that specify 1.0/2.0 plans and you can’t see what plans you’re on, so it adds to additional questions. I’m assuming the little 4 next to the Moto X, means I’m not on a legacy 1.0/2.0 phone. But now the question is, if CDMA is going away in June, I’ve got two family members on CDMA with their annual plans ending in July and September.

Honestly, with the incredible arrogance I’m hearing from RW, I highly doubt I’ll be around to worry about any of this. My son is going to Mint in the next couple of weeks (just waiting on the SIM card), my CDMA plan ends in May 2022, so I’ll be gone by then, and then I have a GSM phone that we use as our home phone, and that annual plan ends in August 2022. My other family members will follow my lead. I was really expecting $20/4 GB and I would have moved to the new plans.

if you open up the republic app it should tell you what plan your on (My Choice + amount of data are the 4.0 plans)

Yes, they all say “My Choice”. Would be nice if RW could use the same terms, for example, if My Choice is a 3.0 plan, then either always says 3.0 or always say My Choice. Trying to figure out internal corporate terminology isn’t what a customer is supposed to do. And yes, I know you’re not a RW employee.

Hi @chrisp.sehv7v,

For what it’s worth, My Choice is a 4.0 plan. Clear Choice (My Choice’s predecessor) was the 3.0 plan. I very much appreciate you are frustrated with Republic, however, I’m just doing my best to provide you the bottom line.

1 Like

It’s a good question. I imagine that if the CDMA shutdown date doesn’t move, you’ll be sent new SIM cards to apply to the new plans and get a credit for time left on your annual plans.

1 Like

unless of course you happen to have the Huawei Ascend 5W and the Samsung J3 (2016 version) phones on the My Choice plans which are effected by the March 31st date as they do not support VoLTE (and any CDMA base phone will be effected by the LTE shutdown of the June 30th date

Let’s not add to the confusion. The situation with the 2016 Samsung Galaxy J3 and the Huawei Ascend 5W has nothing to do with CDMA or the shutdown of Sprint’s legacy networks. They were compatible only with T-Mobile’s existing GSM network and are no longer compatible due to T-Mobile’s separate shutdown of the 3G portion of that network.

Anyway, members with those phones have already received communication from Republic on what they need to do. And, Republic will communicate with members impacted by both the March 31, 2022 and June 30, 2022 deadlines.

1 Like