Messages app notification sound is the default instead of what I set in the app


#1

What phone do you have? Moto G5 plus
What plan are you on? My Choice 1Gb
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Includes data

A week or two ago there was a system update. Since then, the text messages app (the standard one that comes with the phone , Google I think) will not play the sound that I set in the app. Instead the default notification sound plays. Is this a known problem? Is there a work around?

Thanks Mike


#2

Just tested the custom sound setting in my Messages app on my G5 and it appears to be working fine.


#3

Try changing it from what you have to default, then test and return it to what you want … I sort of remember that was the fix once


#4

Hi @michaels.axr76c,

The Messaging :messaging: app that comes installed on the phone is no longer supported. If that’s what you’re using, I’d suggest trying the Messages by Google :messages: app instead.

Have you tried resetting the notification sound as @jben suggested, or or rebooting the phone?


#5

I guess I miss-spoke, it is the Messages by Google app that I’m using.

I did try resetting the notification sound. Set it to default (Talitha) then restarted the phone. Set it to Adara, then restarted the phone. Makes the correct sound when I set it, but when a message comes in it is still Talitha, which is the default. It used to work correctly before the most recent system update.

Mike


#6

Hi @michaels.axr76c,

Settings for a custom notification tone are located in the Messages by Google app itself. I don’t have access to a Moto G5 Plus however, here’s the path on a Moto G6 Play:

  1. Open Messages by Google.
  2. Tap Menu (three dots upper right).
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Notifications.
  5. Tap Sound.
  6. Make your selection.

My apologies if you’ve already tried this.


#7

@rolandh
I did try that several times. Now for whatever reason I noticed this morning the correct notification sound is working. I would have sworn last night it wasn’t. So I guess it is fixed, probably setting to default and back combined with restarting did it.

Thanks all for the help

Mike


#8

I’m a bottom line guy. So long as it’s fixed for you and stays fixed that’s the bottom line.

You’re most welcome!