Messages not functioning correctly

What phone do you have? Moto G6 Play

What plan are you on? $20 month

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? talk & text

Issue Description

Starting just yesterday, my incoming texts do not display nor do any messages with images. All I get is a download button that I have to click in order to receive the text and also, images sent to me yesterday took up to 5 hours to arrive!

I tested it myself by sending my phone a text and an image from Google Voice and the same thing. I have to download the message and I have to download the image.

I have made NO changes to my Messages settings. Current settings are shown on the attached screen shot.

I have been having all sorts of weird issues with the “messages” app. Some people can reach me, some not, some I can text to, some not. I gave up on it and downloaded a third party app called Textra SMS , from the Google Play store. Everything works again.

A similar problem was reported, and a flag was carried at the top of the forum until it was resolved.

• Status can always be found as part of the footer and it will take you to
  • NOTE: See the Comment below from @rolandh for additional things to consider
1 Like

Hi @glennm.xe08im,

While there has indeed been an issue with inbound MMS (picture and/or group messages) reported on Republic’s status page the past few days; if Textra is working but Messages by Google still does not, then I don’t believe that was the problem.

If you wish to try Messages by Google again. I’d suggest verifying “chat features” are disabled as described by Republic here:

On the other hand, Textra is a fine app and though not officially supported by Republic, in my experience, it (and other text messaging apps) do work with Republic service:

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Moto G6 Play unable to receive texts after latest Messages app update

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer