Mid Range Phone to Replace Moto X 1st?

I want to replace my aging Moto X 1st gen with a decent mid $ range phone. The camera “broke” after 13 months.

I am torn between the Moto X Pure, Nexus 5x, Nexus 6P(favorite), & Moto G PLUS(4th). I would eagerly spend extra $ for the Z Play if Android updates weren’t at the mercy of Motorola; Lack of Android updates is my single biggest caveat for all the non nexus phones.

I use my phone mainly for organization, navigation, photo, and reading/browsing.

I use my computer for my Gaming/VR needs.

I live in Portland.

I am leaning towards the Moto X Pure mainly because of its price(64GB $299 from 3rd party seller), screen size, decent camera, ac wifi.

Something to hold me over until the newer Pixel phones go down in price?

What am I missing?

I am trying to avoid any unnecessary surprises.

You should probably scratch the Moto Z Play since it only works on GSM (T-Mobile) and you are accustomed to CDMA (Sprint).

Thanks for the input

Is GSM not working very well for most people? I have had all kinds of issues with my republic cell calling over the years. Data has always worked fine and is mostly what I use other than wifi.

I was hoping GSM would be better.

How GSM works depends on the coverage where you live. Put your address in this map:

4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

Then select the Samsung S7 as your phone. Drop a pin at home, work, and in areas you frequent. This will give you an idea how well GSM will work for you.

I recommend striking phones that won’t work with both technologies. These are all “unlocked” phones but it’s nice to have one that will work with almost any carrier if you move or if you decide to sell the phone.

That is a great point Bill. Thanks

By the way, the Samsung S7 is not on your list and is not a mid-range phone but WOW does it ever have some nice features. My favorite is SideSync that puts my phone’s screen on my PC screen and lets me manipulate it with my keyboard and mouse. The camera is superb too, letting you adjust the photo before snapping the shot and taking the shot by either pressing a button or saying “shoot.” The fingerprint sensor works well too. You can even put the phone on a tripod, frame the subject, adust the picture (hue, etc.) on your PC screen, and then say “shoot.”

I think I saw a deal on a Samsung branded fitbit. OOps that promo ran 1/1/17 - 1/15/17 sorry! Second Samsung promo on that phone there maybe another coming down the road, cross your fingers.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

Upgraded my MotoX Gen1 over six months ago to the Moto X Pure. The Pure has been great for me - much faster, incredible improvement in the camera, and my GSM experience has been better than CDMA.

Also, another post today revealed an excellent deal today (pasting here):

Must use Visa Checkout to get the full discount, Free Shipping.

Up-gradable to Android 6.x so you should be able to bring it to Republic correct? (My comment , “Yes”)

64GB Motorola Moto X Pure Edition Unlocked Smartphone (Bamboo) - Slickdeals.net

Phone technology seems to have plateaued in the last couple years. I think the Moto X Pure is great option for the price. If you shop around you might still be able to find a 64GB version for ~$250.

B&H has the 64GB for @ $280.

I saw that too.

Thanks for the input.

I am only seeing refurbished S7 at the right price (less than $500), but the warranty is only 90 days.

@ @billg That is totally awesome. I got to play with an S7 active this winter and it blew my mind. We were doing slow motion underwater videos in a mountain stream. No special case, just the device as is!

Samsung seems to be making some really nice phones right now.

You mentioned VR as one of your uses. When I bought my S7 from Motorola their Gear VR was free with the purchase. It is pretty cool but one of those toys I quickly tired of. Anyway, it is better than the homemade ones in that the S7 snaps right into it, recognizes that it is attached, and automatically opens the VR software. There have been at least a half dozen Oculus updates since I last fooled around with it.

Like some of you, I will need to replace my Moto X1 soon. It’s displayed intermittent bugs ever since I installed Lollipop on it, and my wife’s Moto X1 has displayed those same bugs since it got Lollipop even though she has a different set of apps on it. What phones do you favor as a good replacement that is reliable, not buggy, and durable in the event of being dropped? (My Moto X1 has survived some nasty falls with only cracked rims and no cracked glass.)

I’ve also seen some comments here on the quality of GSM vs. CDMA. I’m going to be moving to the Boise, Idaho area soon. Which would be better there? Can anyone confirm whether RW’s GSM partner is T-Mobile or AT&T? I’ve heard both mentioned in various forums and am not sure which one is correct. In general, how does call quality on RW’s 3.0 phones compare with the sometimes finicky call quality of their Moto X1?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Like some of you, I will need to replace my Moto X1 soon. It’s displayed intermittent bugs ever since I installed Lollipop on it, and my wife’s Moto X1 has displayed those same bugs since it got Lollipop even though she has a different set of apps on it.

Some people had intermittent bugs, I think location has alot to do with it. What is your location? Is it somewhat rural?

What phones do you favor as a good replacement that is reliable, not buggy, and durable in the event of being dropped? (My Moto X1 has survived some nasty falls with only cracked rims and no cracked glass.)

Any of the phones are fragile. I suggest buying a decent case for any phone. If you believe in commando then the suggestion is insurance with assurant
Assurant mobile insurance

I’ve also seen some comments here on the quality of GSM vs. CDMA. I’m going to be moving to the Boise, Idaho area soon. Which would be better there?

I suggest a phone that can be either CDMA or GSM (they can’t be both) just one or the other.

Can anyone confirm whether RW’s GSM partner is T-Mobile or AT&T? I’ve heard both mentioned in various forums and am not sure which one is correct.

The providers are CDMA>Sprint or GSM>Tmobile

In general, how does call quality on RW’s 3.0 phones compare with the sometimes finicky call quality of their Moto X1?

The 3.0 phones are miles apart on quality from the X1. I have an X4 and a G5+. Both phones are great and have a 5.2" screen. Here’s a nice chart to help picking a phone.
Detailed Supported Phone Features

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

No problem, You’re welcome

Thank you for your thoughts, bocephous. In response to your questions, I’m in San Diego county. It’s a conglomerate of urban, suburban, and rural areas between small mountains all throughout the county. Naturally, the small mountains interfere with cell phone signals. However, many of the bugs my phone experience seem to have nothing to do with the cell phone functions. The most common and annoying bug is that the phone will restart itself completely at random, even when it has not been used in a while.

I’m okay with getting a new case for my phone, but I don’t want the bulky Otterbox case my wife’s phone is in. Not only does that case make her phone hard to hold, but the screen protector it comes with is not flush with the actual screen and interferes with touch input. On top of that, my old iPod Touch screen cracked through the Otterbox case when dropped only a few feet. Do you have an alternative case you would recommend?

How do the new X4 and G5 phones compare to the X1 in display quality? I’ve noticed on specs that neither one has the AMOLED screen of the X1. Do they display the time when picked up like the X1 does? I tend to rely on that feature a bit.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

The OtterBox I had I ripped that crappy screen protector out and put a tempered glass protector on it with the OtterBox missing the screen. Amazon has a huge selection of cases & tempered glass screen protector’s at inexpensive prices. I did like the OtterBox even with bulkiness, I have nuropathy and a larger thicker phone suits me fine…

Some of the X1’s got a little buggy. Restarting is a possible sign of a battery on it’s way out… If you aren’t running short on memory I suggest getting a X1. I love mine, but only the X series has the hands free clock & notifications that appear when the proximity sensor cycles. All the other Motorola phones the power button needs a short push to show the clock.

The AMOLED screen was cut to save money and given to the flagship’s Z series but I don’t even miss it or notice now. The screen is still nicer than a flip phone haha.

I hope I have helped in any way!