Migrating from Motorola G5 plus to Motorola G Power (2020)

I am an existing customer (RW Charter Member)

My Motorola G5 plus is dying.

I just received a new Motorola G Power (2020).

Do I need a new SIM card? Could I just move the existing SIM card from Moto G5 plus to the new Moto G Power (2020)?

Hi @lordbuddha,

You may or may not be able to move the SIM from your Moto G5 Plus. For the details, please see here:

Moving a Current Republic SIM When Upgrading to a New Compatible Phone.

1 Like

FWIW, i did this exact thing last year, with no issues.

Edit: I have a GSM SIM.

The spec for G Power (2020) is below:
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_power-10076.php
The spec for G5 plus is below:
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5_plus-8453.php

Both are Nano-SIM.

So, could I assume it would work?

The process would be to turn off G5 Plus. Open it up to take out the Nano-SIM. Put that SIM in the G Power (2020). Turn on the G Power (2020). Connect to a SAFE and reliable wifi. Install the RW app from Google Play Store. And, follow the instruction?

Sine I have been using the G5 Plus for years, is it worthwhile to get a new SIM anyway?

It’s not the size of the SIM that’s relevant here. It’s the type of SIM (GSM or CDMA). Please follow the guidance in the article I linked to make that determination.

1 Like

Hi rolandh,

They both use Nano-SIM. So, I should be able to use the same SIM?

If so, the standard procedure is to take the SIM out of the G5 plus and put it in the new G Power (2020). Turn it on. Download and install the RW app. Run it and follow the instructions?

It all depends on the SIM type. An active GSM SIM will move from one phone to the next. Generally, active CDMA SIMs do not.

Sorry, I should have said “Hi ceedee”

You need to determine whether the SIM in your Moto G5 Plus is GSM is or CDMA. Have you done so? Is the Moto G5 Plus operational?

Since it’s the same SIM, do I need to go throught the same activation procedures again?

It still is… On it’s last breath

Then, please tell us if the SIM is GSM or CDMA:

1. Open the Republic App on the Moto G5 Plus
  2. Tap the gear icon upper right
  3. Tap About
  4. Under the Phone Info section, your phone’s SIM type will be listed (GSM or CDMA)

If the SIM is GSM, it will move to a new compatible phone Once past initial setup on the new phone (follow on screen prompts for that), power the new phone down and move the SIM. Next, power the new phone back on then be certain Republic’s mobile app is installed or updated. Finally, open Republic’s app. If presented with an “activation” sequence, complete that. If your phone does not prompt you to restart, restart it manually. Service (number and plan) will move from old to new phone.

If the SIM is CDMA and you’re comfortable sharing, may we please know your zip code and we’ll provide further insight. You cannot move a CDMA SIM from the Moto G5 Plus to a 2020 Moto G Power.

1 Like

The SIM Type is GSM.

Thank you! An active GSM SIM will move. Once past initial setup on the new phone (follow on screen prompts for that), power the new phone down and move the SIM. Next, power the new phone back on then be certain Republic’s mobile app is installed or updated. Finally, open Republic’s app. If presented with an “activation” sequence, complete that. If your phone does not prompt you to restart, restart it manually. Service (number and plan) will move from old to new phone.

1 Like

Agreed. Left that out. Edited my reply!

When do I know during the initial setup that it’s time to shut down the phone to put in the SIM? When the G Power says, “Please put in a SIM”? Or, after I download the RW app?

I do not have reliable wifi right now. I think new phone setup needs reliable wifi. Tomorrow.

1 Like

It would probable be like Tuesday for me to do this migration project.

1 Like

You do need reliable WiFi. Initial setup means powering on the phone, connecting to WiFi, adding your Google (Gmail) account, etc. All this is accomplished by following the prompts the phone presents to you after powering it on.

Once the initial phone setup is complete, power down the phone and move the SIM. You need not be concerned about any prompts you might see about installing the SIM. So long as you faithfully, follow those prompts, I’m confident you’ll be just fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would initial the migration Tuesday night.
Thanks for your help and ceedee.

1 Like

If there is any problem, I would stop by again.
Maybe you would be around Tuesday night - Eastern time?

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer