Migration of a phone - please add functionality on the website

Hello,

A friend recently had his phone number migrated out from under him - which required a pin. I am asking for new functionality on the Republic website only which allows you to LOCK your phone from migration. Probably should be a default - which is required to be turned off to migrate a phone.

Yes, I realize you must provide a pin to migrate a phone number - this would be an additional level of security to prevent a phone from being migrated out from under you (my friend found out when his phone was a brick and wouldn’t work).

Thank you… SPRUDO

What do you mean “Migration”?

Do you mean porting your number to another carrier?
If so, that is what you account PIN is for.
You set your PIN and that number is required info inorder for your number to be ported to another carrier.

If your phone was ported without your permission, then you were most likely targeted by someone who was able to gather personal info on you, or just guess your PIN. it was something easy. Or victim of a phishing attempt.

Hello, my apology - yes I mean porting the number to another carrier. I know there is a PIN, but what I’m asking for a switch on the Republic Website to disable porting the number. Such that it must be switched (and provide your PIN) before you can PORT your phone number to another carrier.

Thank you…

I don’ think that is possible, perhaps for technical or legal reasons.
I do not know of any carrier, major or MVNO that has a option to lock out your line from being ported out.

Though., I do agree that would be nice to have.

What you are requesting is already in place

It’s theoretically possible. Google Voice does it and like Republic Google Voice uses Bandwidth.com to host its numbers.

I recently ported a number from RedPocket. I asked them for all the information (account # and PIN) and submitted it to the winning carrier. The winning carrier called me with a representative of RedPocket on the line, and I had to answer further questions to verify my identity before they would allow the port.

But what the Op wants is simple toggle on the account portal that just “Locks” the line from being ported, no mater having correct info or not.

Hi @sprudo507,

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m sorry to hear your friend went through such a strange experience. Is he a Republic Wireless member, and were we able to get his number back for him?

This is not something I’ve personally encountered in a Help ticket before, though I guess it’s not hard to imagine that someone who knows you well enought to know that one 4-digit number you use for everything could do such a thing.

What we see far more frequently, though, is frustration from people who are having trouble porting their number out because they’ve forgotten that they assigned the line to a user, or what their account password or PIN is. They are usually quite frustrated and blame us for the difficulty they are experiencing.

Given this is a far more common situation than the theft of a number when the number is locked with a PIN, I don’t imagine that making it even harder to port a number out would be a high priority for our development team.

I will pass your suggestion along, but I also want to make sure you understand that my doing so does not mean any action will be taken.

You apparently haven’t read the full thread. Yes, the pin is in place - but it was in place for my friend who got his ported right from under his nose. I am asking for an enhancement on the website to have the porting of a number blocked (by default would be nice). In addition to the pin for an account.

Thanks…

Thank you! BTW - he was not a Republic member - is with another carrier (who required a pin as well).

Thanks… Steve

BTW - I too am a southpaw. We’re the only ones in our right mind!

I want to thank sprudo50 for the interesting thought and suggestion. I find it just a bit fascinating on how different groups of companies think differently when creating standards for different issues.

In the telecom industry with phone numbers, you can see that they estabilished a PIN system. Some pin systems are better than others (you get to set your own pin while some others cough Comcast, had set everyone’s pin to “0000”). This allows for some security with a number to validate on requests.

To bring it actually around, I own a domain on the internet (www.example.com) and when you get your own domain, standard for domains is to have as you said a lock system. A register lock is a toggle (allow or disallow) that the company you are with to just lock it with them and deny any transfers. An example from namecheap

One way, you have something personal but as southpaw has mentioned, you can forget it. On the other hand, you can have something simple but that still doens’t mean that someone will overlook it and get frustrated either way :wink:

Yes and no. A PIN for validating a port request is neither an industry or regulatory requirement. It is considered industry best practice among mobile operators. Many mobile operators use PINs for validating port requests. Relatively few wireline (landline) operators do so. If Comcast is telling folks their PIN is 0000, the reality is Comcast isn’t validating a PIN for port out requests and it’s just a placeholder. If a PIN is used to validate a port request, the FCC regulatory requirement is the user set their own PIN. For those interested, I write in some detail how number porting is designed to work here: Anatomy of a Number Transfer.

@sprudo507, I’m sorry to hear of your friend’s experience. He was either the victim of “slamming” or an honest mistake on the part of the service providers involved (it does happen particularly if one uses a manual process for port validation). There is a process called snapback that allows for a number to be retrieved when ported out inappropriately. Unfortunately, one does suffer the inconvenience of temporarily losing phone service first.

In addition to hanging out here, I help out as one of Republic’s Community Experts. More on that from Republic is here: Directly On-Demand Person-to-Person Support – Republic Help. I regularly assist fellow Republic members with porting out a phone number. My experience mirrors what @southpaw mentions.

While, I would’t object to Republic adding an option for a port lock, I wouldn’t want to see that as the default. When something would be an option, it comes down to how many folks would use it. No company’s development resources are unlimited and companies must prioritize deploying those resources where it will benefit the most.

Indeed, but you’d never know that from the reporting around some recent number hijackings. The headlines scream “Xfinity Mobile set PINs to ‘0000’”. You actually have to dig in to realize that it is just sloppy reporting and that Xfinity Mobile simply doesn’t have PINs and was telling people to use 0000 if their new carrier required a PIN in their port request.

This is what makes use of PINs industry best practice. I’m shocked Xfinity is not adhering to that. :upside_down_face:

The sloppy reporting makes a bad situation considerably worse as it highlights for the slammers the fact Xfinity Mobile doesn’t use PINs.