Missing All Phone Contacts and Text Messages only show Numbers not Names

This just started happening today (ironically Thanksgiving day). Google Pixel 4a. Recent Android 12 update. Things started with Visual Voicemail no longer displaying. The "fixes did nothing.

Now I tried to create a group text and realized I cannot because there are no names associated with the text contacts, only phone numbers. Went into Phone Contacts to call instead and I have ZERO contacts with a graphic that says “Your contacts are just a tap away here.” ALL of my contacts are missing. I guess it is logical that text only shows numbers, since I am guessing the names are stored with the Phone Contacts?

How do I fix this?

Thank you.

Michael

Well, I did some browsing about and saw that my original gmail account I used on this phone (and all past android phones) is no longer listed. Added it back and all my contacts are there and my texts have names where applicable. Have to wonder why this happened though. And why Visual Voicemail is still not displaying. IOS may be in my future. :frowning:

Hi @fat_finger_mike glad that you got your contacts issue resolved. See if anything in this link helps with the voicemail suddenly missing –

Hope this helps!

The Visual Voicemail issue is described in detail in this thread: No voicemail listed on the Voicemail tab of the Phone app on Motorola and Pixel phones and is a result of a bug in the Google Phone App. Unfortunately all we have right now are temporary work-arounds.

For what it’s worth, iOS, in and of itself, is not a panacea when it comes to visual voicemail. Apple not the carrier controls visual voicemail (and other things typically carrier controlled with Android), on iOS. The carrier must also have a “carrier bundle” arrangement with Apple. Many do, some do not…

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer