MMS Broke after RW 3.10.0.54 App Update

I have a support ticket in for this but while I’m waiting for a response I thought I’d toss it out here and see if anybody else has seen this and has a solution. My phone is a Nexus 6P running Android 7.1.1 on the GSM network. I’m using Textra (with MMS behaviour set to “system”) and all has been well until I updated to the recent RW 3.10.0.54 app. Now I can no longer send MMS messages. Sometimes I get a “fail” message. Sometimes the text that I sent with the pic goes through but the pic doesn’t. I have tried sending to 3 different (non-RW) phones with the same results. MMS was working fine before the RW app upgrade. Oh, I should also mention that I applied an Android “February 5, 2017” security update at the same time, so that is also a consideration.

What I have tried:

• Performed the ##8647##" reset and rebooted the phone.
  • Tried uninstalling the RW app, rebooting the phone, and reinstalling the RW app.
  • Tried using the stock “Messaging” app instead of Textra.
  • Have tested on both WiFi and on cellular network.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Good feedback … as an FYI … I just tested my Moto X Pure with 3.10.0.54 and an included picture … MMS went to another RW phone fine.

Hopefully others will add any experiences with MMS that are abnormal and you can add the info to your Ticket

I just tried sending an MMS to another RW phone and it went through fine. But it won’t work sending MMS to 3 other non-RW phones that I am testing with.

Hi @fisher99.

Although some other messaging apps work, the only messaging app we support is Messenger - Android Apps on Google Play. The stock “messaging” app on Samsung phones definitely will not work with our service.

Does MMS also fail when you use Google Messenger?

southpaw@rw wrote:

Hi @fisher99.

Although some other messaging apps work, the only messaging app we support is Messenger - Android Apps on Google Play. The stock “messaging” app on Samsung phones definitely will not work with our service.

Does MMS also fail when you use Google Messenger?

Sorry I wasn’t clear. Google Messenger is what I meant when I said that I have also tried the “…stock Messaging app”.

Still waiting for contact from the RW Help Team regarding the ticket that I opened (ticket 1065022).

Hi @fisher99,

For what it’s worth, I tested this morning sending MMS from two different Republic 3.0 GSM phones (Samsung Galaxy J3 and Huawei Ascend 5W) to an iPhone I keep on T-Mobile. Both Textra and Google Messenger worked flawlessly for me.

What I don’t have the ability to test with is a phone running Nougat. It may well be the latest Nougat security patch or an interaction between that and Republic’s 3.10.0.54 app but it doesn’t seem to be the upgrade to the app alone.

rolandh wrote:

Hi @fisher99,

For what it’s worth, I tested this morning sending MMS from two different Republic 3.0 GSM phones (Samsung Galaxy J3 and Huawei Ascend 5W) to an iPhone I keep on T-Mobile. Both Textra and Google Messenger worked flawlessly for me.

What I don’t have the ability to test with is a phone running Nougat. It may well be the latest Nougat security patch or an interaction between that and Republic’s 3.10.0.54 app but it doesn’t seem to be the upgrade to the app alone.

Good info. I will pass this on to the RW Tech Support team when/if they do get back to me.

For what it’s worth, in continuing testing to 3 non-RW phones, it seems to now be quite random as to whether a recipient will get the pic or not. They always get the text, but not always the pic. But pics sent to my wife’s RW 2.0 phone always go through.

RW Tech Support finally contacted me and asked me to perform a “wipe cache partition” on the phone. After doing so I have been able to successfully send MMS/Pics to the 3 non-RW phones that I was having trouble sending to yesterday. I will do further testing before declaring victory but it looks promising.

Message an
Expert customer