MMS (texting pictures and group texts), "cell data used" function, add data - work only on Wi-Fi

master_ticket

What phone do you have? Moto G5 plus

What plan are you on? 3.0

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? 1GB data

Issue Description

Republic app “cell data used” function no longer works. Seems to have coincided with recent OS update on G5 plus. Wheel spins, can’t go to page showing individual apps data consumption.

If you reboot the phone are you still experiencing the wheel spinning?

To reboot phone, hold power button down until phone restarts.

I’m having the exact same problem. In the My Data screen of the Republic app, the total counter just spins endlessly and clicking on the “see where your data is going” gives me a white screen with a spinning circle.

This does not happen on Wi-fi. Here are the conditions that I can repeat:

1. Good LTE signal (GSM in my case, Moto G5+)
  2. Wi-fi off
  3. Data freeze on or off. Tried both ways. (It shouldn’t matter since the data freeze feature whitelists the RW app.)

I have rebooted several times. When I turn Wi-fi back on, it all works perfectly. However this feature is most useful when you’re in an area that doesn’t have Wi-fi and need to keep track of your data usage.

@davidw.ctd2jy and @jonh.aiwv0z look for a DM from me on this.

My experience is just like davidw’s – rebooted several times with data freeze on and off. Works on wifi, but i need the functionality when i don’t have wifi.

@jonh.aiwv0z Sending you a DM regarding this.

Thanks for updating folks by DM, @louisdi. I’m going to go ahead and put this here publicly, and hope that people will understand how important it is not to assume they are seeing the “same” issue when they are seeing only a “similar” issue.

Hi @jonh.aiwv0z and @davidw.ctd2jy , and others currently seeing the “Cell data used” feature fail to load.

We’re currently investigating an issue that originally appeared as an issue sending MMS (text messages with attachments or group texts) when away from Wi-Fi. (On Republic Anywhere these messages may appear to send, but will not be received. On the Messages app by Google, these messages will give a “Not sent. Tap to try again” error.) As we investigate that further, we’re also noticing that the same phones are unable to perform other functions in the Republic Wireless app, including reporting cell data, as you’ve described.

If you open the RW app, tap the settings gear at top right, and tap “About,” a few lines below your phone number you’ll see a line for SIM Type.

If your SIM type is GSM and you are experiencing the issues given below, please open a ticket, explain the issues you have experienced and ask that your ticket be investigated as part of master ticket 1504994.

As of now, we only have a handful of tickets attached to that master ticket, and in order to fully investigate and understand it, we need enough examples to be able to identify commonalities and track down the root cause. For this reason, it is important that people experiencing similar but not identical issues do not ask to be attached to the master ticket, as that would only delay a solution to your own issues and may confuse the investigation into this matter.

The criteria to be attached to master ticket 1504994 are:

• GSM SIM card
  • Cannot send MMS (text messages with pictures, or group texts) on cell
  • Cannot view data useage in the RW app when on cell
  • Cannot access voicemail settings in the RW app when on cell
  • Cannot open a help ticket from the RW app when on cell
  • Cannot add data when on cell

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

People not receiving my MMS

I’m experiencing identical issues. I opened a ticket and asked to be added to the master ticket mentioned above.

Another symptom: cannot send pic in Google Messages.

@barf That is one of the primary symptoms listed above.

oh. right. my bad.

What phone do you have? Moto G

What plan are you on?

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data 1G, talk and text

Issue Description

I cannot send pictures unless I am at home or a family member's with WiFi. No where else. This has been going on for a few weeks. I have rebooted the phone but that did not help.

See here: Republic app - "cell data used" function stopped working after OS update on G5 plus (wheel just spins)

Hi @kathleens.k3kkkn,

I’ve merged your question into a topic where others have reported the same issues. We have a status page for this issue that you can monitor for updates at https://status.republicwireless.com/incidents/1rzy4s8s48hg

Good morning @kathleens.k3kkkn, @barf, @jonh.aiwv0z, and @davidw.ctd2jy ,

We have word from our carrier partner that a fix for this issue is in place, and our engineers have confirmed the phones they were using to monitor the situation are now working correctly.

Could you please try putting your phone on cell and checking your data in the RW app or sending a text message with a picture attached, and let us know if the issue is resolved for you, as well?

Resolved. Now working perfectly. Thanks for the quick follow-up.

Yes - it is working again - thank you!