Moto E 2nd Gen, using claro sim card

I have a Moto e 2nd Gen that I’m not using. I got it with the refund plan. I am now thinking of using it when I travel to Panama. I want to use a sim from the local provider, Claro. Will this work for local calls/data in Panama?

no it will not work
the Custom ROM needed for the Refund plan will not work an any other provider

Hi @jim,

Did you replace the Moto E2 with another Republic phone? If so, please share with us the brand, model and generation of the phone you’re currently using with Republic.

I was thinking that was the case.

Thank you for your help!

Motor e4 plus.

Hi @jim,

What you might do is turn the scenario around.

You may temporarily move Republic service back to the E2 as described here: How to Activate a Republic Wireless 1.0 or 2.0 Phone on an Existing Number – Republic Help. The E2 will reactivate on the grandfathered refund plans. For travel outside the U.S., there’s no reason to select anything other than the $5 WiFin only plan.

Moving service back to the E2 will deactivate your Moto E4 Plus, making it available for use with a Claro or other local (in country) SIM. Unlike the E2, the E4 Plus is capable of using alternative SIMs.

Upon return home, simply reactivate the E4 Plus with Republic moving service back from the E2. If you’ll be traveling outside the U.S. for more than 20 days, please let us know as your E4 Plus’ SIM would expire and we’ll want to account for that.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer