Moto E 2nd gen

My good ole Moto E 2nd gen went for a refreshing swim in the lake the other day. I didn’t realize that Republic Wireless didn’t offer the phone anymore. I know that if you were to buy a non-Republic phone, it would have to be on the BYOP list and have a Marshmallow operating system. I believe I’ve read Moto E’s have a Lollipop operating system (not good enough) but are compatible and able to upgrade to Marshmallow? In which case, would it be possible for me to buy an unlocked Moto E with Marshmallow and a Republic SIM card and continue using my service with Republic Wireless?

short answer is no this will not work

long answer below

the legacy plans (Republic Wireless 1.0 & Beta Plans or Republic Wireless Plans 2.0: Republic Refund ) need to have the CUSTOM ROM of the Republic Legacy phones the Republic version of the following phones

republic-wireless-phones_1.0_and_2.0

• Moto E (1st Gen.) (XT1019)
  • Moto E (2nd Gen.) (XT1526)
  • Moto G (1st Gen.) (XT1031)
  • Moto G (3rd Gen.) (XT1548)
  • Moto X (1st Gen.) (XT1049)
  • Moto X (2nd Gen.) (XT1094)
    these phones will be at OS 5.1 Lollipop (some that never updated may be at 4.4 Kitkat or 4.2 Jellybean)

so the Unlocked one will not work for your plan (also not unlocked ones are GSM and would not work for the underlying CDMA carrier of the legacy plans)

also not the unlock version of these phone also will not work on the 3.0 plans even i they have a > 6.0 Marshmallow OS

Message an
Expert customer