Moto E4 Cellular Network Not Available for Voice Calls Phone appears to not be activated anymore

What phone do you have?
Moto E4 1 week old
What plan are you on?
My Choice with Data
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Talk text and Data.

Issue Description

New phone one week ago. Activated to replace earlier Moto G with same number. Worked fine for a week. Then midday today it will no longer place calls. I can text when connected to wifi but when I try to place a call even when connected to wifi it says Cellular Network Not Available for Voice Calls. When I open the Republic App it says Great News! Your phone is supported and tells me to insert the Republic Wireless SIM etc. But the SIM is in there and was working fine.

I have removed the SIM and put it back in and restarted, no change. I have removed the SIM, cleared the cache and followed the steps to refresh the republic activation. No change. We are travelling but my wife’s phone purchased and activated at the same time is working fine so our location does not seem to be a factor. . . What next please?

Please go to Settings – About Phone – Software (or System) Update while connected to wifi. You should find an update waiting. Once it has applied and the phone has restarted, please go back and check again for another update. Once all updates are applied you should find that the phone is working properly again.

Should you find the phone saying there are no updates, power it off, remove the SIM, and then power on and check again. Keep repeating with the SIM out until there are no more updates. Once all updates are installed shut off one last time and then insert the SIM and restart.

Thank you! It took a couple of rounds of updates (without needing to remove the SIM) but the phone is back working. Thank you!

I don’t recall having run updates on the Moto G this phone replaced but never had a problem. Is this something I should be doing routinely? (Am I a neglectful phone owner?)

Yes, one should accept updates when available. No you’re not a neglectful phone owner. The same bug that caused the phone to forget its SIM also kept the phone from notifying you updates were available. Going forward, you should be prompted to install any needed updates.

1 Like

Thank you!

alt marcd.36tpxs:

Is this something I should be doing routinely? (Am I a neglectful phone owner?)

Yes, one should accept updates when available. No you’re not a neglectful phone owner. The same bug that caused the phone to forget its SIM also kept the phone from notifying you updates were available. Going forward, you should be prompted to install any needed updates.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer