Moto E4 - Data Transfer not available

All the documentation I have seen, tells me to swipe down the status bar and go into the USB Charging icon. When I swipe the status bar down, I don’t have the USB Charging.

How can I access the data in my phone from my computer?

Thanks.

Hi @stephenc.g9roqa

Which type, PC(?) and which operating system would be helpful information.

Are you sure you are using a cable that is capable of transferring data?.

It’s an HP desktop running Windows 10. The cable is good. I use it on other devices without issues (including my last Moto phone).

Best I can tell is that it’s an issue with the phone.

@stephenc.g9roqa

Is there an Auto-play dialog pop-up on the W10 computer that is waiting for a response? If so, select View files

If not, then please try the following:

Leave the cable plugged into the computer.
Unplug the cable from the phone and wait a few seconds
Plug the cable back into the phone and then swipe down from the top of the screen.
Is there a “USB for charging” notification?

There is no pop up dialog when I attached the phone to the computer, there never is.

Unplugging, waiting and re-attaching has no effect. No pop up and no USB Charging icon. There is a battery icon that shows that the phone is charging, but that allow provides details about the status of charging.

Thanks for checking and reporting back.

Please confirm you are using a single finger swipe to view notifications when looking for the USB toggle.

Both single and two finger swipe present the same list of notification icon.

Hi @stephenc.g9roqa,

Pictures as they say can be worth a thousand words.

This is what you should see on your E4 after swiping down from the top of your phone when connected to your computer:

Tapping the notification will allow a change from charging only to file transfer:

If you’re not seeing this on your E4, I would suggest trying another cable known to be a charge and sync cable (some are charge only). I appreciate you reference the cable you are using works with other devices, however, MicroUSB charge and sync cables are cheap and readily available. It would be worth trying a different cable before moving onto other potential troubleshooting steps.

Please note the posted screenshots were taken on an E4+ (it has a bigger screen and battery than your E4 but is otherwise the same phone).

Thanks for your response.

I am now seeing the USB Charging notification. It appeared yesterday while I was pocking at the phone trying to find it.

Is this something that has to been done every time I connect the phone to a computer?

Yes. Glad you found it.

You’re welcome!

Very happy to hear that.

In theory, the default can be set in Developer options but this has never worked for me. I’m on macOS not Windows. I don’t see why that should make a difference but if you’d like to try Developer options for yourself, here’s how:

1. Open Settings.
  2. Scroll to, then tap About phone.
  3. Scroll to, then tap Build number 7 times.
  4. You’ll be congratulated on becoming a developer.
  5. Exit Settings.
  6. Reopen Settings.
  7. Scroll to then tap Developer options.
  8. Scroll to, then tap Select USB Configuration.
  9. If needed, tap MTP (Media Transfer Protocol.

As I said, in theory, the above sets the phone to default to file transfer rather than charging only but has never worked for me.

There is a good reason for the phone to ask you this every time and that is security. Without it a rogue public charging location, a borrowed charger, etc would have access to your phone and could potentially do malicious things.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.