Moto E4+ New phone, Arc is not lit up

I bought a phone via eBay and received my sim card from Republic Wireless. I transferred my old Republic Wireless phone number to this new phone. For some reason the arc is not lit up. It is just saying that I have cell calls no Wi-Fi calls. It says messages and data over Wi-Fi. Why is this?

Also it is saying that I have one month free service. When does that start? And apparently I also get one gig of free service?

Hi @dyno
It’s always helpful to know which phone you are using, please make sure your Republic app is up-to-date. Also, see this Document

Hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry, it’s a Moto E4 Plus and the Republic app is up to date.

Great, did you try refreshing the RW credentials per the linked document?.

Hi @dyno,

Could you make sure there are no system updates for this phone? Please read this article for instructions specific to the E4:

The free month of service with up to 1GB of data is a limited-time promotion associated with buying a SIM card from our online store. I would expect you to see the promotion applied to your next invoice.

1 Like

I think the promotion said free month of service with no mention of the 1GB data plan addition for BYOP.

Hi @Majorninth,

You’ll notice the superscript “2” at the end of that line. That points to the footnote at the bottom of the page, which reads:

2 You must activate the SIM card between April 19, 2018 and June 30, 2018 by 11:59 p.m. ET on a supported Republic Wireless phone, choose a valid Republic Wireless service plan, and agree to the Republic Wireless Terms of Service. The Offer is valid for anyone who has ordered a SIM card from Republic Wireless on or after March 1, 2018 The Offer has no cash value, is not valid for payment of any kind other than as a service credit for a Republic Wireless service plan, not transferable, and not valid on the service plans of any wireless carrier other than Republic Wireless. The free service (taxes and telecom fees not included) will begin at the start of your first month with Republic Wireless. If the Republic Wireless service is terminated before the expiration of the one month period, any and all remaining service credits expire. If you chose a plan of greater value than Republic Wireless’s Talk and Text plus 1GB of cellular data service plan, any additional service plan cost above the Talk and Text plus 1GB cellular data service plan is not included and must be paid for by you.
Limit 5 SIM cards per customer. If you add other items to your cart, standard shipping rates for those items will apply.

That the discount includes talk, text, and 1GB of data is near the end of the footnote, where it says:

If you chose a plan of greater value than Republic Wireless’s Talk and Text plus 1GB of cellular data service plan, any additional service plan cost above the Talk and Text plus 1GB cellular data service plan is not included and must be paid for by you.

Interesting, I didn’t get the credit when I signed up. So I filed a help ticket and was only credited $15. I guess I need to file another ticket.

Hi @dyno,

Have you been able to get Wi-Fi calling enabled?

The arc was white for a little bit yesterday, now it’s back to not lit up.

ok, the Solid White Arc would indicate a WiFi connection to Republic, when it went to the Open White Arc that would indicate it went to Cell

Hi @dyno,

Thanks for the reply. Is this variation between white and not-white always on one specific Wi-Fi network?

When I’m home, it always stays on solid white. At someone’s else’s house is when I get the arc not lit up.

When I’m home, in the drop-down menu, it says “On WiFi” for Republic Wireless. When I make calls it says Republic Network and the call quality is absolutely horrible.

1 Like

This is for use at your home on your WiFi, lets deal with the inability to use others WiFi separately (other that answering @southpaw’s question

To see if your WiFi call quality is being affected by a less than stellar WiFi combined with your Cell signal you could do the following (then make a call to someone where you normally would consider call quality horrible)

1. Eliminate the possibility of utilizing RW’s Bonded Calling (for test purposes only)
    • Place the phone in Airplane Mode, then re-enable your WiFi
    • Make the call, and assess the call quality (how do you sound to them and how do they sound to you)
    • Hang up, and without making any changes, have them call you … make same assessment as before
  2. Take the phone out of Airplane Mode and adjust the RW App Settings for this 2nd test:
    • In the Republic App, tap the gear and then Advanced Settings, and Manage handover
      • Make sure allow manual handover is checked
      • Uncheck “Handover to WiFi when appropriate”
    • Make a call to the same test person as above and make the same assessment
      • Invoke the manual handover, which will put your call on cell, and compare the call quality.
  3. Update us with your results and if possible provide a bit of description about your “absolutely horrible”, does that mean you hear an echo, broken up calls, weak signal?

Moderator’s note: Content edited for clarity

1 Like

Hi @dyno,

When you’re at someone else’s house, have you signed in the phone into their Wi-Fi network?

Let us know if @jben’s instructions are too much for you, and we can break it down into smaller steps.

Honestly this is absolutely ridiculous that I should even have to go through these steps to use my service. I’ve been with Republic Wireless for 5 years now and this is the worst it has ever been. I go back to work today after a vacation with my new phone and discover I’m constantly getting no cell service. I try to send text messages and get errors saying no cell network. This is completely unacceptable. I will have to switch to something else, I need to be able to use my cell phone at work. I’ve never had this issue before with RW and I work in a populated area, it’s not like I’m in the middle of nowhere. This is like living in the stone age, I’m actually embarrassed.

I love the actual phone, service is awful. I’m hoping I can keep my phone and switch to something else?

1 Like

Hi @dyno,

Sorry, I was confused by what the issue was. When you discuss the arc lighting up, that’s about Wi-Fi connectivity. I did not realize that you were also experiencing cellular connectivity issues and that your coverage is now different than it used to be. That’s easily fixed.

When you ordered a BYOP SIM, the coverage is indeed different than that of the former phone. We can replace the BYOP SIM card with one that provides the same coverage you had before. Please open a ticket and let our support team know that you need the SIM card that provides your Moto E4+ with the same coverage you had on your previous phone. If you’ll let me know once you have that ticket open, I’d like to keep an eye on it.

1 Like

The Cell coverage and the probably SIM swap discussed by @southpaw will address your Cell coverage problems.

• If you still have call quality concerns once you are up on the CDMA towers that used to provide you good coverage, just pick up this thread with answers to my previous update
1 Like

Ok I just submitted the ticket. I’m sorry if I sounded rude but this has been very frustrating and disappointing. I was so excited about my new phone.

1 Like

I definitely understand your disappointment, an upgrade should not be worse experience than before. I’m very sorry I didn’t understand the issue earlier on. Checking on your ticket now.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer