Moto E4 phone compatible on 5.0 plan?

I’ve read through much of this and can’t quite find a direct answer to my question. My husband and I have 2 RW lines. They are on one account with the “My Choice” plan and we both have Moto E4 phones that we purchased from Republic Wireless directly (not Moto E4 Plus, just Moto E4). Once the process is simplified, I was planning to move us over to a 5.0 plan (the $30 is the same plan but cheaper), then later upgrade phones after that. However, I don’t see the Moto E4 phone listed on the 5.0 plan compatibility list. Does anyone know if the Moto E4 phone will work on the 5.0 plans?

thanks.

Hi @julieu.ef4ypx and welcome to the Community!

Indeed, your Moto E4s are not on Republic’s list of phone certified for bring your own on 5.0 plans.

That said, compatibility works differently on 5.0. Your Moto E4s would probably work with new 5.0 plans and you would be welcome to try it. By work, I mean you’d likely have talk, text and data on cell. My guess is WiFi calling would not work. The dilemma is if you move your numbers off of My Choice and the Moto E4s don’t work well on 5.0, you wouldn’t be able to go back to My Choice because there’s no way to reactivate a My Choice SIM any longer.

2 Likes

Hmm… thanks. So it sounds like the better solution may be for me to buy a third-party phone first while I’m still on the My Choice plan, but one that’s also on the 5.0 compatible list, do the phone upgrade, then switch to the 5.0 once it’s easier for existing RW members to do so.

I’m looking at the Moto 5g stylus 2021 (which is on the 5.0 list) - would that phone be compatible with the current “My Choice” plan? In the Republic Wireless App it says that I currently have a “SIM Type GSM”.

I’m not super tech savvy so my main concern is ensuring that I keep my phone number when I change phones. Not 100% sure how to change phones/sim cards and such.

The Moto G Stylus 5G is certified for bring your own phone with Republic’s new 5.0 plans. It is not, however, compatible with Republic’s now grandfathered My Choice plans.

The 2021 Moto G Stylus (which lacks 5G) is both certified for use with Republic’s new 5.0 plans and compatible with My Choice plans. At this point, 5G is more marketing hype than critical need but I understand wanting to future proof the phone.

Are the Moto e4s still performing reasonably well? I ask because we’re expecting the improved process of moving from My Choice to a new 5.0 plan to arrive :crossed_fingers: in a matter of weeks. It might just make sense to wait for that and do it all at once.

1 Like

So I only see the below for stylus versions on the respective lists. I take this to mean that it’s only the 2020 version that exists on both lists not the 2021 version, correct? The E4s are ok, but really laggy and no longer have sufficient storage to operate/update the limited number of apps I use. I was planning to update it when the RW sales on phones happen in December as they typically used to, but then all this transition stuff happened.

3.0 list:
moto g stylus (2020) (XT2043-4)
moto g stylus (2021) (XT2115-1)

5.0 list:
Motorola G Stylus 5G XT2131-1 35817968
Motorola G Stylus (2020) XT2043-4 35908410

No, both the 2021 Moto G Stylus (XT2115-1) and the 2020 Moto G Stylus (XT2043-4) are on both lists.

The 5.0 list is unwieldy in its current form (another opportunity for improvement :grinning:) but the 2021 Moto G Stylus (no 5G) is there.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.24.26 PM

1 Like

Hmm. interesting. Thanks - I didn’t see that at first, but do now lower in the list that you pointed it out.

Could I buy just that phone from RW without changing my plan and do the sim card change over from my e4 to that phone using my existing SIM card or do I have to buy that phone from a 3rd party if I want to stay on the My Choice plan for a bit?

Hi @julieu.ef4ypx,

Republic no longer sells the 2021 Moto G Stylus only the Moto G Stylus 5G, which is not My Choice compatible.

There is, however, another 1st party source. Get it unlocked from Motorola directly here:

@rolandh ,

You might have just found a solution to one of my dilemmas. My mom passed and I have her now deactivated Moto G4. Could I use a Moto G4 from Republic that had been on CDMA SIM to test out the new plans coverage area with a new plans SIM as well?

If so, since we only have 3 line remaining with RW, I could use the plan I signed up for but cant get a phone from RW for due to some online store issues, I could test out the network coverages using that old phone before ordering new devices? Then when the store does finally work for ordering new phones order my wife and daughter the 60 plans with new phones for them. I realize I won’t see 5 G speeds, or have all capabilities, but if I could see coverage area that would answer 95% of my concerns.

Currently my RW phone line is simply forwarded to my work provided I-phone because I am required to have it with me 24/7, and I’m not going to carry 2 phones.

I’m gonna take a stab at this…but anyone else, please add any info.

Here’s the present compatibility list for the 5.0 plans -

The Moto G4 isn’t on the list, I’m guessing because it’s too old, and not capable of VoLTE, which seems to be a requirement to work on the new network.

1 Like

Motorola’s Moto G4 is not on Republic’s list of certified bring your own phones for 5.0. That does not mean it won’t work with a 5.0 SIM. Likely, it will work but with caveats. I expect cellular service will work but Wi-Fi calling probably won’t. For purposes of testing 5.0’s coverage, that may be good enough.

Online store issues are getting ironed out and, for what it’s worth, the phone I believed you mentioned interest in (Ssmsung’s Galaxy A32 5G) is now showing in stock.

Thank you for helping me game this out. I think I may wait and see how long “a couple of weeks” ends up taking before making a final decision.