Moto E5 Play keeps shutting down after update

What phone do you have? Moto E5 Play

What plan are you on? My Choice + 1GB

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? data, talk, and text

Issue Description

I updated my phone with the new security update provided. Since then, my phone shuts down intermittently. I tried removing apps and disabling certain apps. Now my text won’t receive pictures. I just get the icon to download. Any suggestions???

Hi @debraj,

Welcome to our Member Community.

Could you take a moment to confirm all the network settings are still correct?

Hi @debraj

You might also try clearing the system cache to see if it helps.

How to Clear the Android System Cache on Motorola and Nexus Phones with a Cache Partition

Yes, the settings were all correct. When the phone shuts down the only way to turn it on again is to remove the battery and reboot. I had this same problem the last time I did a security update. I removed most of my apps (which weren’t many) and reset all my caches.

I went ahead and did that too! I will let you know if that worked. Thanks!

1 Like

Nothing has worked so far. I decided to order a new battery to see if that would solve the problem. After rebooting in Safe Mode, it still kept shutting down, so I figured it was not an app problem. If the battery doesn’t solve it I think the phone is the problem.

At this point I would factory reset the phone.
While a new battery would be good to extend the life of the phone, I don’t think it will help with your issue which looks to be a screwy operating system.
If you do the reset, please read the the procedures carefully so you don’t end up loosing any data you might not have backed up.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer