Moto G 1st Gen can't send texts but can receive them (Wifi only)

Hi,

I’m using the wifi plan with my 1st Gen Moto G. I use Signal for SMS. And was able to send and receive for years now. But recently I notice my few texts that I send out are still in hover mode. They don’t actually get sent out.

I am able to receive texts no problem. I’ve gotten about 5 of them yesterday.

I never use the phone away from my home. So it’s always on wifi.

Do I need to reset something? or perhaps stop using Signal? I don’t even know what the texting app that came with the phone was called, I’ve been using Signal so long.

Thanks in advance.
JK

What phone do you have?

What plan are you on?

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?

Issue Description

Hi @jka.zupe8e,

Recommend you install Google Messages Google Message Icon and see how that works for you.

Google Messages is the messaging app RW supports. I think the Moto G1 came with a different messaging app. I have never tried Signal.

Signal will not work reliably for SMS on older Republic legacy phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2). It probably would work for exchanging messages with other Sigal users which bypass SMS and use data (WiFi or cell).

Additionally, the text messaging client bundled by Motorola with legacy Republic phones hasn’t been updated for years and is also no longer particularly reliable. For SMS and MMS (picture and group messaging), it would be best to use Messages by Google as suggested by @freddyp or optionally Republic Anywhere.

Thanks for the options. I’m not super inclined to giving Google even more connections and data from me, so I’m going to try with Republic Anywhere.

At some point, I know I’m going to have to get a phone upgrade. Meanwhile, I remain treading water electronically with my old phone.

Cheers,
JK

Message an
Expert customer