Moto G 3rd Gen

Hello,

I have the Moto G 1st Gen phone set up on an older $25 plan and I’m wanting to replace it with a Moto G 3rd Gen phone that I would be sourcing from somewhere else. Can I do this since I already have an active plan supporting a 3G phone? I can purchase a used Moto G 3rd Gen phone that was previously on the RW network and has it’s SIM card, or I can purchase a new Moto G 3rd Gen phone that is “unlocked” and w/o a SIM card. Can either of these be done and if so which would be easier? Really want to keep my old plan.

You must purchase a used Moto G 3rd Gen phone that was previously on the RW network.

Hi @elainnar.jndacd,

Any Moto G 3rd Gen. you source must be Republic specific. If it’s represented as being unlocked or working on another network, it will not work with Republic. More here: Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones.

If you source a previously used Moto G3 or other legacy Republic specific phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2), you may continue to use your current plan by activating it as a replacement for your current phone: Activate My Phone.

And so once I do that as long as I have the MEID I can transfer my service over to that phone w/o any issues, correct?

Sure. Helpful tips are at Buying and Selling Used Republic Wireless Phones . I would peruse eBay and Swappa to see what’s available.

Awesome, thanks all for the help & info!

Incidentally, Is this “Kill Switch” thing something I’ll need to contend with? What steps would the previous owner need to take to provide me with the “PIN code”? Is there a chance that when the phone was set up by the previous owner they never set up such a PIN code?

Incidentally, Is this “Kill Switch” thing something I’ll need to contend with? What steps would the previous owner need to take to provide me with the “PIN code”? Is there a chance that when the phone was set up by the previous owner they never set up such a PIN code?

Typicall the “Kill Switch” would only come into play if the phone being sold was a lost or stolen phone.

Hi @elainnar.jndacd,

If the seller does their job, it isn’t something you need to contend with. All the seller needs to do is remove any screen lock protection on the phone prior to a factory reset. If they fail to do so, it isn’t a matter of providing a PIN code. They would need to provide the credentials for the Google account used on the phone prior to factory reset or accept return of the phone.

Got it, Thx.

Not necessarily. There have been reported instances in Community of sellers forgetting to remove screen lock protection prior to performing a factory reset. This, too, would trigger the “kill switch”.

Message an
Expert customer