Moto g 4 bounces between wifi and LTE

My wife and I are having the same problem with our moto g4 phones. We are both retired and spend most of our time at home. The phones will bounce from wifi to LTE throughout the day. I have a netgear Nighthawk n7000 router and installed a firmware update about a month ago which did not fix the problem. I also had a technician come in on Monday increase the coverage in the house. I have added two range extenders and a wireless access point so that I have a strong signal throughout the house. We did not have a problem with our older moto g phones so I am assuming that the problem is with the G4 phones. Any suggestions?

In an attempt to understand your environment, if you could supply some more info it might help

1. Was the Nighthawk AC1900 in use on the previous phones?
    • When did you add the extenders? … same question for the wireless Access Point?
    • Which devices are you using and how are they connected to the main router?
  2. Are they all set to use the same or different channels?
    With your system as it is currently set up, would you test by powering off the range extenders and AP and see what your performance is?

It seems like you are leaning towards the problem lying with my router, settings, or hardware of the system. I can evaluate the possibilities that you laid out, but I do want to rule out a problem with the phones themselves. Has anyone reported a similar problem with the moto g4? If not then I will persue the options that you presented.
Thanks,

Paul

I am just a user like yourself. As there are many variations of routers/AP/Extenders this opens up opportunities for them to be the actual source of the problem. Short of asking you to go to McD, Starbucks or the local Library for an extended period of use, I am just trying to layer back the onion with you :joy:

I’m one of the Experts that helps Republic handle tickets through the Expert program. Having handled tens of thousands of tickets I have not seen this issue with others.

Thanks, that narrows down the possibilities. I’ll try some of the previous suggestions and see if I can resolve it.

[quote=“paulb.4h5j5a, post:3, topic:19813”]
Has anyone reported a similar problem with the moto g4? If not then I will persue the options that you presented.
Thanks,
[/
While I have not reported this as being a problem, it appears my wife has ad the problem of losing WiFi connection with her G4. I have the G4PLUS and have not noticed the issue (maybe I just did what I needed to correct, but not happening often anyway).
I looked at her phone to see if there were any difference settings between the two, but did not see any. Later she handed me her phone as we were sitting in the same room as hers had disconnected from WiFi. She does not have any cellular data, so it couldn’t switch.
The only thing I saw was her phone was connected to the 5G network. On ours this is listed as Netgear 50-5G. The 2.4ghz is listed as Netgear 50. I chose to forget the 5G on her phone and connect to the 2.4 GHz. Interestingly, when I checked my phone I was connected to the 5G network, and the WiFi disconnected. I am usually connected to the 2.4 GHz.
We were in a room with weaker WiFi signal. This might be something for you to test out with your two phones.
By the way, we are both retired and at home on our WiFi over 50% of the time.
Maybe some comments from @jben on this.

I believe that we are getting closer to a definitive answer. Yesterday, out of curiosity I “forgot” the 5G network on both of our phones and only used the 2.4 network. Neither phone acted up since that time. Now another couple of questions, is it the Moto G4 phones, Netgear router settings, or maybe G4 phones on Netgear routers? Is it just fine to only use the 2.4 band or are we missing out not using the 5g band?

Thank you to all who have been part of this problem solving. Republic Wireless member support has once again risen to the challenge.

Hard to say what it is. It could be something as simple as signal. The 5G network, while faster, because of the higher frequency does not penetrate walls well, and doesn’t travel as far. Is the issue present always (even in the same room as the router) or have you noticed it only when outside of the immediate area of the router?

@jben has written an articles tips and tricks Router Tweaks - Keep WiFi 1st - a Community Guide covers this as well as much more about Wi-Fi use and modem/routers. Always worthwhile to experiment on your own to see which settings work best for you. 2.4ghz may have been the only choice for you with the previous router or phone. Works great. 5ghz has less interference from others and less people using it, but does seem to have less signal through walls and obstacles. Let us know how it works out and thanks for asking here. Helps others too. I didn’t realize my wife was having the issue as much as she was.

Here is some info on 2.4 vs 5 Ghz, I recently squirrelled away while evaluating an App for checking network (not done but so far the doc is better than the app)

Details

What is the difference between 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi?

The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, whereas 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds. This article describes the differences between 2.4 GHz and 5GHz frequencies, and offers suggestions for choosing the frequency that is best for your situation.

Range (how far your data can travel):

In most cases, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range, or how far your data can travel, will be. The biggest reason for this is that higher frequency signals cannot penetrate solid objects like walls and floors as well as lower frequency signals. Thus, the 2.4 GHz has a farther range than the 5 GHz frequency.

Bandwidth (speed):

Higher frequencies allow faster transmission of data, also known as bandwidth. Higher bandwidth means that files will download and upload faster, and high-bandwidth applications such as streaming video will perform much smoother and faster. Therefore, the 5GHz with its higher bandwidth will provide much faster data connections than 2.4 GHz.

Interference:

Many devices only use the 2.4 GHz frequency, and these devices are all attempting to use the same “radio space” which can cause overcrowding of the channels. The 5GHz band has 23 available channels for devices to use vs. the 3 available on the 2.4 GHz band.

Overcrowding and interference can cause slower speeds and intermittent connectivity issues. Some examples of devices that can cause interference:

• Microwaves
• Cordless phones
• Baby monitors
• Garage door openers

So, which should you choose, 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?

• If faster speeds are most important to you, 5GHz is usually a better choice than 2.4 GHz.
• If wireless range is more important to you, 2.4 GHz is usually a better choice than 5 GHz.
• If you have a lot of devices that use 2.4 GHz and you are experiencing interference or intermittent connectivity issues, then 5 GHz is probably a better option