Moto g 4 going NUTS

My 4g goes nuts (screen flashes from one app to another, will not respond to screen touches, will not turn off unless you hold the power switch down for at least 60-75 seconds an then reboots by its self - still having the same problem). Very frustrating, makes the phone useless. Happening about 90% of the time.

Hi @robertr.e0ecb4,

This sounds like a known issue with some G4s known as “ghost touch”. The hoped for cure would be a factory reset without allowing Google to restore apps and settings. If that doesn’t sort things, may we know when you received your G4 and from whom it was purchased (Republic or third party)? You may also find this of interest: Reduce occurrence of Moto G4 Ghost/Phantom Touch using MacroDroid.

I suggest your restart the phone in Safe mode and see if the problem disappears. With any luck, it’s a rogue third-party app, and not the “ghost touch” issue, described above.

I tried the ghost fix. No luck! I think I"ll buy another phone. Does anyone know if the Moto E4+ has the same problem???
Thanks for the fast help, but I think it has something to due to the phone.

I tried the ghost fix. No luck! I think I"ll buy another phone. Does anyone know if the Moto E4+ has the same problem???
Thanks for the fast help, but I think it has something to due to the phone.

The only model that we’ve seen this reported on with any regularity is the Moto G4.

Thanks, I will proceed with my purchase.

I’m having the same problem, very frustrating. Tried everything mentioned, didn’t work. Any other suggestions? Will Motorola replace the phone since this is obviously a defect in the phone?

I agree and think Motorola should make good on the phone with a replacement.

What helped with this issue for me was turning off adaptive brightness in settings>display and keeping the brightness level near minimum. Motorola is offering some replacement help if you are out of warranty.

How long is the warranty? MY phone is about 18mos old.

warranty is 1 year (though your credit card used to buy the phone may offer a extended warranty (some double the Manufactures )

Thanks for the information.

Motorola has been helpful in replacing phones with this issue. I am on my third phone. All three phones worked fine for 3-6 months and then the ghosting began. The only thing that worked for me was keeping the brightness level low. I got my most recent phone in late August and the ghosting started early March. It is annoying. I could return this one for a fourth, but I am ready for a new phone. Haven’t found what I want yet so will keep looking.

Motorola agreed to replace my phone. Because it was out of warranty they charged $125 for the new phone. Thanks for all your help and your information.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.