Moto G 4 outgoing texts and calls coming across as different number to those receiving them

I am trying to help my father with his Republic Motorola Moto G gen. 4. As of last week his texts have been coming over as another number as well as phone calls. Also, his phone has seemed to reset itself as he no longer has any contacts, cannot read text messages, and only gets a text message saying that he has a voicemail and that he needs to download an app to listen to it. How do we get the issue with the different number changed? Any advice is appreciated.

Are you using the Android Messages app? If not, this probably explains the problem

To add to @billg’s advice you may want to see PSA: Google Messenger Now Android Messages from @rolandh for background info and link to the required app

And if that’s not the issue, likely following this video will resolve the issue: How to VOIP Your Phone

louisdi wrote:

And if that’s not the issue, likely following this video will resolve the issue: How to VOIP Your Phone

Now that additional information has been added to the original post I have a feeling this will do the trick.

Message an
Expert customer