Moto G (4th Gen.) black screen only

Moto G (4th Gen.) black screen only. It will not boot up. Held down the power as well as the lower volume button. Tried charging it while doing above too. Typical battery charge screen does not come up. Always black screen even when I call it. I hear the ring. But can’t answer it because screen is still black.

I am traveling in Germany, so I need to get this up and running. What should I do. If I order a new phone.
Moto G (4th Gen.) 32G, will I just be able to switch sim cards and will it work again like normal.
Does Republic even ship to Germany, or should I order one from Amazon.de. If so, would I be safe to say just a Moto G, 4th gen with 32G.

Thanks in advance for your help.

sounds like you have a screen failure, short of seeing what a local repair shop can do to replace the screen there not else that can be done

Republic does not ship outside of the US, and I do not think you will find the North American Factory unlock versions of Phones that Republic accepts on the German Amazon site

as to if you can just swap the SIM depends on what type of SIM

If GSM you can swap phones by swapping SIMs

Have you held down the power button for at least 50 secs. The phone will vibrate to indicate it has forced restarted.

If still no display, unfortunately, that indicates a hardware failure and you will need to either take the phone to a repair shop, or purchase a new phone.

Also note, Republic does not have International service. A R.W. phone can make use of unrestricted wifi only when out of the USA. Or most of 3.0 My Choice phones, since they are factory unlocked, can support a local country SIM.

Thank you for your replies. I have tried rebooting in several different ways. It is obviously a hardware failure.

I need to order a new phone.
I currently have Moto G (4th Gen.) 32 GB

I am interested in getting this one from republic
https://republicwireless.com/shop/phones/moto-g5-plus/

CONNECTIVITY WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz)
Cellular:
GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz);
CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)
UMTS (B1,2,4,5,8);
4G LTE (B1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,17,25,26,38,41,66)
Bluetooth: v4.2

I should be able to just switch the sim card from my broken g4 to the moto g5 plus without any problem.
Do I need to contact republic to let them know of the new device id?

Is there anything that I need to check or be aware of?
How do I get all my lost and missed texts?
I will probably have to reload all my apps one at a time?

Love to hear any suggestions from the community.
Thanks in advance.
Mikki

Maybe maybe not. Please see here: Is My Republic Wireless SIM Card CDMA or GSM? – Republic Help. If your SIM is GSM, it will move from the G4 to the G5 Plus. If it’s CDMA, please let us know and we’ll provide more insight. In any event, all phones purchased from Republic include a new SIM and best practice would be to use the new SIM. There’s no user content stored on one’s SIM, so moving it wouldn’t move anything other than service.

No, simply follow Republic’s activation guidance upon receipt of your new phone: Activate Your Phone – Republic Help.

Not that I can think of.

You probably don’t get all of them. Text message content stored on a dead phone, short of expensive forensic recovery, can’t be accessed. Republic Anywhere can be used to restore the last 30 days or so of text messaging content. In fact, should you have another compatible device available, you may access text messages right now. More on Republic Anywhere here: https://republicwireless.com/republic-anywhere.

Not necessarily, apps are generally tied to one’s Google account. When you add the same Google account currently used on the G4 to the G5 Plus, most of your apps will come along for the ride. Any that don’t may be reloaded from Google’s Play Store as you suggest. Additionally, other user content synced to your Google account (contacts, photos, etc.) will sync back to the new phone as well.

If my phone has a hardware problem as stated above, I will not be able to switch to “republic switch anywhere”

What selection do I use? I use a chrome book and that does not seem to be one of the selections?
I have not updated to using android apps for chrome. Can I still use “republic anywhere” or should I wait for my new G5 phone.

Checked my sim card in my moto g4, the numbers start with 89012, I believe it is a GSM SIM card. Can I swap my moto g4 GSM SIM with any other moto g4 or moto g5plus phone.

Will all the chargers for my old moto g4 work on the moto g5plus phone.

Thanks in advance.
Mikki

If you lack another compatible device, you won’t be able to use Republic Anywhere now. You will be able to use it to restore the last 30 days of text messaging content to your new phone.

Yes, that’s a GSM SIM and yes, it is possible to move it to another Republic compatible phone. Any other Moto G4 or G5 Plus doesn’t equal Republic compatible phone. It must meet all the criteria listed by Republic here: Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help. Specifically, since you reference traveling in Germany, it’s unlikely you’ll find a Republic compatible version there. In order to be compatible, they would need to be North American factory unlocked. Phones built for the European market won’t work with Republic and that’s what you’re likely to find in Germany.

Likely, yes.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.