Moto G -- not working at all

What phone do you have? Moto G, 1st gen w/16GB
What plan are you on? WiFi and Cell Talk and Text and 3G Data
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Yes includes data

Issue Description

Hi all, hoping you can help. My Moto G does not work at all -- I have turned it off and when I power it back up I only get the white screen with the blue circular "M" logo in the center with the word "Android" along the bottom, and that screen just sits there. It does nothing else. I have tried to let the battery run down so that if it's "stuck" in some broken configuration it can re-boot completely clean, but when the battery runs down and I push the power button I still get three flashes on the little power light, which to me indicates that there still is some residual charge being held in the device, I can't get it to go completely dead.

This phone has been giving me issues for a while, as in apps not loading properly, anything I try to do on it taking a very long time, etc. At this point I know I need a new phone and I just want to be able to boot the old one up to be able to download all my contacts and possibly see what my app settings are so that I can install all that info on a new device when I get it.

Any insights greatly appreciated!

Bring it up to at least 50% power, unplug it, and try this:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/97329/p/30,6720,9050

These should be the correct steps:

Android 5.x Lollipop Steps

With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
Press the Volume Down key to highlight Recovery mode.
Press the Power key to restart into Recovery mode.
The screen will display an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
While holding down the Power key, press and release the Volume Up key, then release Power.
Use the volume keys to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select it.
Scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key to select it.

joelr.s4xumc,

I’m going to guess billg mistakenly provided you with a factory reset procedure link rather than one to clear the system cache. This step is normally done before considering a factory reset that wipes the memory to like new. Since you want to keep the information on your phone here’s a cache clearing link…How to Clear the System Cache on a Moto E1, G1, X1, and X2 – Republic Help

Also added a suggestion at the bottom to make step 2. easier.

Procedure

1. Turn off your phone and remove any charging cables
  2. Press and hold both the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons
  3. Use the Volume Down button to scroll through the options to Recovery and press the Volume Up button to select it
  4. When the words No Command appear, press and hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up button
    Note: The phone will reboot if you wait too long to perform this step
  5. Use the Volume Down button to scroll to Wipe cache partition and press the Power button to select it
    When you see Reboot system now is highlighted, press the Power button to select it

It can be difficult to press/hold both buttons at precisely the same moment. During my first attempts to clear cache the phone kept powering up and I’d need to power off again and repeat. This happens if the power button finger is just a bit faster to the press.

Since those days I’ve found if you first press/hold vol down and then the power it will prevent inadvertent power ups. And keep holding both, it often takes a bit longer the 2-3 seconds.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Thanks Bill, but as William said those directions will wipe all my data, which is my main concern.

William, I followed your instructions and got as far as wiping the cache partition, then when I clicked to reboot I got…nothing, just a blank screen. The screen is backlit so it isn’t as dark as when the device is completely powered off, but it’s a dark screen with nothing on it. No reboot. I let it sit like that for an hour, just to make sure it wasn’t just taking its sweet time, but no reboot. I then tried to hold the power button down to completely power off, when I did so the screen went totally dark (no backlight) for a second then came back to the white screen with round blue “M” logo, the phone vibrated once briefly, and after that screen sat for a while the screen then went to “dark but backlit” once again.

So I appreciate all the sage advice but I’m still stuck. Any further suggestions as to how I can power up and access my data? Thanks again.

this is not good news as a clear of cache did not knock it out of this failure mode

My I ask what type of data are you trying to save?
have you tried to access the phone via a computer using USB?

it looking like the last way to get your phone to boot may be the Factory data reset which will cause data to be wiped :frowning:

Hi drm, the data I am hoping to save is mainly contact info and notes. Most of that I have duplicated elsewhere, but not all, and I don’t have an actual backup.

Hooking up the phone to a computer is a good idea, but it doesn’t work. When the screen is “dark but backlit” the computer doesn’t recognize the phone as a connected device. I then hold power button down a couple of seconds and the screen goes "true “dark” then hit power again, at that point I get the white screen with circular blue “M” and my computer tells me I now have a D: drive connected but when I click it my computer gives a popup that says I need to connect a drive. Then after a minute or two the screen goes back to “dark but backlit”.

If I have to wipe it I will (assuming the device isn’t so screwed up that a factory reset won’t work either) but continuing to hope I don’t have to lose the data. Any last suggestions?

And yes, I should have had a backup, flog away. I promise I will figure out how to back pu to the cloud once I’m back up and running =)

What program/app where the notes in
Google docs/sheets/keep/drive could be backed up on the Google servers
Contacts should be here https://contacts.google.com

Other them very expensive data recovery tools/service there may be no way to recover the data on the phone [even the factory data reset is a long shot for getting the phone working again]

Yes! My contacts are there. And when I said notes, for the most part I meant notes within contacts fields. So all of that is saved and accessible. Thank you!

I still will lose some other things, but not much and pretty minor. Just the annoyance of getting all the apps downloaded again, usernames and passwords re-entered on various accounts, etc.

> [even the factory data reset is a long shot for getting the phone working again]
That’s what I’m afraid of =/

I glad your needed data is backed up by google
If the Factory data reset is successful adding the Google account back to the phone should restore the data to the phone (adding the Google account to a different phone will put the contact data there as well)
good luck on the factory data rest

Factory reset did not work =(

After going through the steps I came back to the white screen with circular blue “M”, which has been sitting there for several hours now.

Oh well, thanks all for your help!

Looks like it’s time for a replacement phone. Sorry this didn’t get it going.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.